• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS solo strings

Share/Bookmark

GOS solo strings

In registering my GOS I recieved an email back from Gary, in which he confirmed he was doing a solo string library, with the same loving detail as GOS.
    Can\'t wait!!

Re: GOS solo strings

Do you have more details, like a release date or something like that?

The man is a true artist!

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

No details I\'m afraid, perhaps if Gary reads this he might comment

Simon

Solo strings have been recorded. Continuing with the tradition of GOS, these instruments are exquisite. Stradivarius, Guarneri, Amati, Montagnana, Gofriller, Pallota, Testore and others.

It would not be best to merely program these samples in GigaStudio, give the usual features, and throw it to market.
    I want this library to be something really special and revolutionary. As the wine commercial says \"we will release no wine before its time\".

Solo instuments have some particular issues that need to be addressed to produce a truly realistic and expressive performance.
    Some incredibly brilliant people are working on various aspects of this solo instrument library to overcome the limitations that have plagued solo instruments, and to enhance musicality and playability. We have some innovative ideas and solutions in the works.

Now, I would like to ask this group what they would like in a solo string library. Dream a little... Perhaps we can deliver.
    Gary

I think the EPS did it by, after engaging this mode, the legato parts of the phrase were mid-sample attacks. It didn\'t have the memory to have another SET of samples, so I think it used the same arco samples and defined an alternate start point when the mono mode was engaged. It sounded completely seemless and totally like one bow across a series of notes. The other great thing about doing trills this way is you decide wether they are major, minor, minor third fourth etc etc.

I was very excited that GOS came up with maestro as it deals with the need for mono, user activated, string patches. But my dream wish would be for it to behave more like the EPS mode. Maestro, for those that don\'t know, has a lot of flexibility however!!

...Tril controler!

Gary,

Congratulations on this major announcement!

As far as playability goes: the first request that comes to mind (in terms of performance features) is find someone in your work team who owns the old ensoniq EPS, and the superb solo violin patch created for it. Check out the mono glide layer features and how well they perform. Its very similar to maestro tools, which I presume will be employed for you solo strings. A difference between maestro and the EPS is, however, that if you perform a trill, say between \"b\" and \"c\", you could on the EPS hold down the b, then ADD the c to the trill where needed, meaning the b would keep playing underneath the c, in mono. This way you could VERY easily simulate trills of varying user defined speeds. This feature in EPS could be activated instantly by hitting a patch select button, exactly like hitting a keyswitch in Gigastudio. Therefore, it is only activated when needed. The realism of trills performed like this (and how easy it was to perform because you are holding down one key, and only trilling the OTHER note, not trying to play both notes of the trill) was fantastic.

This feature also made runs sound very realistic, and maestro performs this in a similar way.

The other BIG challenge would be vibrato variation, in both speed of vibrato and depth. Somehow the speed and depth need to be independant of each other, user controlled.

I\'ve never owned a ribbon controller: would this make it possible? Perhaps GPC sliders instead.

Hmmm, here comes the midi violin!!

[This message has been edited by Robert Kral (edited 11-17-2001).]

Gary,

Congratulations on this major announcement!

As far as playability goes: the first request that comes to mind (in terms of performance features) is find someone in your work team who owns the old ensoniq EPS, and the superb solo violin patch created for it. Check out the mono glide layer features and how wll they perform. Its very similar to maestro tools, which I presume will be employed for you solo strings. A difference between maestro and the EPS is, however, that if you perform a trill, say between \"b\" and \"c\", you could on the EPS hold down the b, then ADD the c to the trill where needed, meaning the b would keep playing underneath the c, in mono. This way you could VERY easily simulate trills of varying user defined speeds. This feature in EPS could be activated instantly by hitting a patch select button, exactly like hitting a keyswitch in Gigastudio. Therefore, it is only activated when needed. The realism of trills performed like this (and how easy it was to perform because you are holding down one key, and only trilling the OTHER note, not trying to play both notes of the trill) was fantastic.

This feature also made runs sound very realistic, and maestro performs this in a similar way.

The other BIG challenge would be vibrato variation, in both speed of vibrato and depth. Somehow the speed and depth need to be independant of each other, user controlled.

I\'ve never owned a ribbon controller: would this make it possible? Perhaps GPC sliders instead.

Hmmm, here comes the midi violin!!

The trill method mentioned above sounds great. If it were enabled by a keyswitch, the second note of a trill should be a special middle-of-the-recording sample, as in the legato masking samples in GOS.

The first thing that comes to mind, though, is that it would be nice to have as many instruments as you have recorded (I was going to write you about this earlier, but I didn\'t know you have already done the sessions... you are a madman!). Dan Dean gave us ONE violin, so that in a quartet setting, there would be two \"copies\" of the same instrument. Beatles fan that I am, the first thing I will do when your solo strings come out is sequence \"Eleanor Rigby,\" which of course is an octet. It would be so cool to have at least that many instruments: 4 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos, and (of course), a bass (sadly missing from Dan Dean\'s collection).

Gary, keep up the amazing work!

Go Back to forum