• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music News: Thought Controlled Orchestra debuts

Share/Bookmark

Music News: Thought Controlled Orchestra debuts

Is this the future of music? Just think of it... just think it....

Engadget reports:
    The Multimodal Brain Orchestra had its world premiere last week in Prague, a city known for its big thinkers (and its Velvet Revolution).

As a guy in black tie-and-tails led the traditional players through their arpeggios and glissandos, an "emotional conductor" led four performers fitted with G-Tec caps as they controlled both visuals and the sounds, frequencies, and volumes of various instruments. The controls were based on two of the effects that EEGs measure, SSVEP (or steady-state evoked potential) and the P300 signal. While we're not sure if this will ever take off in the classical world, we do think that there are quite a few turntablists who could do some wild things with a thought controlled Kaoss Pad.

Hmm . .Maybe the Brain to GPO device we wrote about five years ago can become a reality.

Re: Music News: Thought Controlled Orchestra debuts

Hmmm...I suspect my brain runs Linux
    David

At least we're making progress...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post

Brain control of Vsti - sounds passable, but what for, heavens forbid, do we need "Gpo to brain" device pictured here ? I guess it won`t supply oxygen if heart fails...

P.S. Hello everyone, my first post, but have been reading the forum for some time - now with that demonish brain-feeding pic couldn`t help it
    Last edited by Vladzakr; 05-07-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Grammar

Hi Vladzakr, welcome to the forum!

The GPO to brain device will allow composers to just "think" music into existence. The current model is:

think music -> use computer mouse or MIDI device to get it into computer -> edit and edit -> stop editing and call it done

This takes too much time, and the results are sometimes not quite accurate (resulting in "it sounded better in my head" syndrome). The new model will be:

think music -> done

It will be much easier.

Of course, it may call our mental abilities into question, but we can worry about that later...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post

think music -> done

It will be much easier.

Of course, it may call our mental abilities into question, but we can worry about that later...

Well, at least in my case, the poor device would suffer an electronic version of extreme stress syndrome from trying to analyze the miscellany of detached ideas, disconnected phrases, unrelated chords and mysterious rhythms that are present in my mind!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    Hi Vladzakr, welcome to the forum!

The GPO to brain device will allow composers to just "think" music into existence. The current model is:

think music -> use computer mouse or MIDI device to get it into computer -> edit and edit -> stop editing and call it done

This takes too much time, and the results are sometimes not quite accurate (resulting in "it sounded better in my head" syndrome). The new model will be:

think music -> done

It will be much easier.

Hi, and thanks

Of course I know what was the meaning of this experiment - I was just joking that in the picture Garry has written "GPO to brain" - and not vice versa, what makes it look like GPO is going to feed the brain instead

Quote Originally Posted by Vladzakr View Post
    what makes it look like GPO is going to feed the brain instead
    Oh but it will! It may feed the brain enough so that we won't need the rest of our bodies to live... we will just be brains and GPO to brain devices.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum