• Register
  • Help

Topic: Odd happenings with KP2

Share/Bookmark

Odd happenings with KP2

As some of you know I have bought a new computer running Vista 64 bit.

I have had some odd problems here and there and this one I don't understand.

I loaded Sonar 8 first into the new computer and then added Jabb and then GPO. After updating JABB to KP2 I noticed that I am missing a nunmber of instruments. It seems like I cannot load any KS instruments and a number of other things will not load either. For instance if I try to load one of the drum kits, the KP2 player freezes. I can close Sonar, but the Frozen KP2 player remains until I reboot. The player also looks different. The place where I used to save presets has changed to what is in the jpg here

http://www.box.net/shared/7zam6i24uc

If I try to save a Multi, KP2 again freezes.

I don't know all of the instruments I am missing, and hate it when I find out a new one, just because of the freezing issue.

As soon as NI found out I am on a 64 bit computer, they laughed and hung up.

Any ideas?

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Odd happenings with KP2

Ron, I'm running Sonar 8 and KP2 on my laptop once in awhile now, and it's Vista 64 bit. I don't really grasp what all I'm supposed to do--but I loaded all software, did the NI authorization routines, and haven't had any problems. I'm working in 32 bit I guess - ? I really don't get it.

So this is a non-helpful response - but I had a question. In your screen shot you're pointing to the pre-set menu at the top of KP2, and it does indeed look different from what I'm seeing in my KP2. But I've never used that pre-set menu-What have you been saving as pre-sets instead of Multis, which have a menu inside of KP2 itself?

Randy

Randy

What I used to do is just type in a new name there in presetsand save that, and then later I could hit the down arrow and load what I wanted. I never used the multi before so I am not sure what that does. The presets just load all of the instruments and all of the ins and outs that I had saved plus any changes I had made to panning, volume,etc. But this KP2 player now can not do any of that since if I do anything with multis, KP2 Freezes and when I click around near the same spot where the presets were, nothing happens.

Hopefully, someone has seen the way mine looks now and can tell me what to do to make things work right.

Ron

Jon

Okay, I have now been able to save a preset and KP2 didn't freeze up this time. Thank you. I didn't know what bank meant.

Some other stuff:

If I go to Program files/Cakewalk, I have a folder that says Sonar 8 Producers Edition along with a bunch of other folders like TTS1, Cyclone etc.

If I go to Program files(x86)/Cakewalk, all I have is Beatscape, Dimpro and VST plugins(no Sonar 8 folder).

What exactly is the difference between Program files(x86) and Program files?

In Program files/Garritan, I have The GArritan Auth. Steiway. Inside there I have an app for Garritan Steinway and one for Garritan Steinway x64.

In Program files(x86) I have a Garritan folder that has the Gpo KP2 Library that has GPO in it. Also in Program files(x86), I have another folder that has Garritan Jabb Library folder.

I added all that info to see if you can see any reason why KP2 freezes on me and perhaps why I am missing some instruments in JABB.

Ron

Jon

I will add some more info that adds to my confusion.

Sometimes when I do things in KP2, such as change the midi channel, KP2 freezes. When this happens I go to the vista toolbar and there are now 2 boxes for the KP2 player on the toolbar. Sometimes when I right click on the 2nd box, I can close the frozen one and everything works again. Other times when I right click all I get for options is Move, which doesn't do a thing. At that point I close Sonar and then reboot to get things to work again.

Ron

I'm glad Jonathan's helping you sort this out, Ron - it's pretty much beyond my experience!

But here's a Sonar trick which you may want to try:

I've never used pre-sets or Multis. I use existing projects as templates for others. Easy - I have a complex set up with a mixture of Garritan Libraries, and in the Mixer I have all the routings set up, buses, effects et al. Open that project - Select All data, MIDI and audio, and delete. Instantly save under the name of the new project. In a twinkling, I have all the instruments I want, the whole shebang ready. Slick and super fast way to get going on the new piece.

I should add that I also Select All in the Tempo View and delete that--ready to insert the new opening tempo for the new project.

Best of luck with the rest of it - Hope more instructions are posted here re: the two types of Program files etc.

Randy

Randy

I do hope Jon gets back here and straightens out some of my mess, but he has helped a lot so far, so I can't complain.

At some point in using Sonar, I must of clicked on something somewhere by mistake and ever since then, the default settings for all colors is now gray. All of my tracks are gray. In the PRV, the colors of all of the notes are shades of gray. This happens whether I start a new project or delete all of the data from old projects. So for a long time, I have done what you do. I just keep deleting the data from a project and save it under a new name for my new project and start over. Then I have to change all of the colors in the newly saved project. But as soon as I would delete all of that and start up again, I would be back to shades of gray.

That is why I am not importing any of my old projects into the new computer. I don't want to have to screw it all up again. So I am starting everything from scratch to keep it all clean. Once I have a new project that has everything in it and working right, I will use it to do all of my new works.

Ron

I've found that Kontakt 2 will display a message box in the x64 versions of Windows and it's always behind the original Kontakt 2 window making it appear that everythings frozen. What I usually do when making changes to Kontakt is move the window off to the side so the middle of the screen is visible so I can get to the prompt window behind the main window. It's a pain in the butt, but it's better than reloading.

Greyed notes in the PRV view is caused by the tracks not being set to edit mode. There is 2 boxes next to the track name on the right hand side of the PRV view. The one on the right needs to be toggled to turn on edit mode. This is a handy feature if you have mutiple tracks in PRV view and you need to edit only certain tracks and then switch to another to edit.

Jim

Jon

That is a lot of info and I really appreciate it.

I once tried a few times to save a template on my old computer. It never showed up in the list, so I gave up on that idea. Probably operator error of some kind.

SO is there any reason why I should load Sonar as a 32 bit app (and keep the 64 bit also)? Might that get rid of some of my problems or just create different ones?

I know I will need to know more, but that is all I can think of right now.

I will say this though, I have yet to do a project that has made any of the 8 CPU bars under system in the Large transport view, move much at all. I honestly think I will have no problems with the i7 chips, just the vista 64 system they're using.

Ron

Go Back to forum