• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Croc Hunt

Share/Bookmark

Croc Hunt

The heat is oppresive. Unknown multitudes of carnirvorous insects are finding their way into every orifice of your body. The air is so thick with moisture that it feels like you are in the womb of a daughter of Lucifer. Yet the crocs are waiting; hiding in the mists emanating from the swamp.

Here it is

Croc Hunt.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

It is also available here

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

This piece uses JABB, GPO, plus the free sounds from NI's Kore and some synths from Sonar. I used extra Growl in the Bass Clarinet Patch from JABB, which I think really makes the piece.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Croc Hunt

Hi Ron,

As always, it's a treat to hear your music ... I'm always very moved by it.

You're right, the 'growly' bass clarinet is killer and indeed makes the piece (for reasons unknown I always describe that sound as 'fat' or 'resonant' ... but I like growly). I have a bass clarinet and play it a little when I'm feeling sinister ... I'm also a big fan of the EEb contra-alto and the BBb contra-bass clarinets.

I played along on a keyboard and at first thought you were going lower than an extended range bass clarinet (concert Bb), but I think Bb was the lowest pitch I was able to pick out.

Anyway, great piece, great use of the bass clarinet ... and very sultry and sweltering too!

Regards,

Frank

BTW Ron ... this sounds like something out of the J. Pederman catalog ...

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    The heat is oppresive. Unknown multitudes of carnirvorous insects are finding their way into every orifice of your body. The air is so thick with moisture that it feels like you are in the womb of a daughter of Lucifer. Yet the crocs are waiting; hiding in the mists emanating from the swamp.
    "... But your eyes are dry thanks to your Outbacker Headband ... hand-woven, virgin cotton, double stitched, green plaid, khaki, or tiger-striped, sizes 6-10 ...".

Actually, I loved your description but couldn't pass this up!

Frank

Ron,

Once again a very nice piece of music you've presented here. It sounds like you get some relief at the end

By the way your recordings keep sounding better and better.

Steve Winkler

Nicely done, Ron. This piece just needs the movie. I agree with swinkler, your renderings get better and better!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

This is great Ron!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Frank

You cracked me up with the J. Pederman catalog comment. I can see that myself. Thanks

Steve

I haven't decided what happens at the ending yet. Either the croc dies or we end up inside the croc. So it is satisfying to one or the other, Thanks

Bill

I am just now starting to understand how to mix correctly, so hopefully my pieces will even get better. Thanks

Aram

Thanks

Thanks again guys

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    I am just now starting to understand how to mix correctly, so hopefully my pieces will even get better. Thanks
    Speaking of mixing is there one or two things you learned you can point to that made a big difference in you mix? Or maybe it's been a gradual process that would be difficult to summarize in a couple of sentences.

Just curious.

Steve Winkler

Steve

I think I understood how to get a decent mix, my problem was more in the tools I was using to get there.

I used to use the tools in the KP2 player (Reverb, Stereo, etc) to add effects to all of my instruments. Now I am only using KP2 to get my instruments into Sonar. The plug-ins with Sonar work a lot better than those in KP2. For example I am now using Perfect Space for reverb vs the reverb in KP2. Perfect Space is a decent convolution Reverb and that, by itself has improved the sound quality of my mixes. I spend a lot more time now getting the panning right where I want it for each of the instruments. I vary the amount of reverb each instrument uses to get some depth into the field. I spend a lot more time on the CC data than I used to spend in my previous mixes. I now use a lot of different envelopes in all of my tracks.

From my experience I can say that there is really no 1 or 2 things that I am doing differently that makes the difference. It is a lot of little things that I knew should be done, that I wasn't doing.

The smartest first move was to get out of notation and into a sequencer. Although you can do almost all of the required work in a notation program to get a good mix, it is so much easier in a program like Sonar.

Ron

"feels like you are in the womb of a daughter of Lucifer" - very descriptive! I don't' think I've ever seen it put quite like that......

I like this piece. A little different, more electronic than most of what I've heard from you. Very moody and creepy - creepy like critters.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast