• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sonar or Cubase?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar or Cubase?

Hi,

I have been using Sonar from 5-8 and know it well but Cubase recently came out with a keyswitching technology that looks awesome. I'm thinking mainly for VI instruments cause it is limited in what programs it supports at this time. My questions are: Is Cubase 5 as good as Sonar 8? Does cubase have any nasty bugs or programs you can't use with it?
    Thanks

Tony

windows xp 3.25 GB ram, 3.20 ghz M-Audio 410 firewire (lots of plugs K3, Omnisphere, VI etc............

Re: Sonar or Cubase?

Tony,

I'm an extremely happy user of Sonar 8- and though I don't have any experience in Cubase, I'd like to know what keyswitching technology you're referring to! Very curious indeed. Please share!

Alex,

This should get you there:
    Don’t miss the video tutorial that explains how it all works! Then proceed to download the VST Expression Maps here >>

This idea from Steinberg is one of the best this year
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Can you describe what it does in a simply manner?

What you normally do, change articulations with keyswitches, is no longer needed here in Cubase 5. You can assign the notes to the right articulation directly in the note- and keyeditor.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    What you normally do, change articulations with keyswitches, is no longer needed here in Cubase 5. You can assign the notes to the right articulation directly in the note- and keyeditor.
    Thanks Gunther. I just saw the video. Very impressive. I guess that composer that use notation will think seriously about Cubase now.

Edit: this feature can be used with any library with keyswitches or only with VSL? Can users create vstexpression maps?
    Marcelo Colina

I have been using Cakewalk since 1996. I've loved it.

But every year I get more and more disillusioned with it because of the lack of any new notation features and the lack of several now industry standard sequencing features.

I will normally compose in Sibelius and then sequence the midi tracks to the VST Instruments I use in SONAR. Since I prefer looking at notation view, that's where I live in SONAR... and I hate it!... HATE IT!!!

It's so clumsy and buggy that for that interim period between a finished composition and mixing the track, I'm ready to beat my head against the wall on a daily basis.

I finally just this month had enough of it and ordered Cubase Studio 5. The VST Expression mapper is EXACTLY what I need to keep my complex compositions readable w/ each instrument on 1 track.

Well that's the idea hehe... the package is still on it's way to me. I'll post back here in a week once I've had a chance to play with it.

Errr... bottom line.

SONAR = Fantastic Audio DAW, but lacks any composition/sequencing tools of note. ProTools, Logic, Cubase .... all are years ahead of SONAR in that department.
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Edit: this feature can be used with any library with keyswitches or only with VSL? Can users create vstexpression maps?
    Yes, with any library and yes, you can!

cool, thanks for the info!

Go Back to forum