• Register
  • Help

Topic: Metric Halo and the Garritan Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Metric Halo and the Garritan Steinway

I thought some Steinway users might be interested to know that the audio interface used by Brian Peters to record the original Steinway D sampling sessions is now available to the public - the Metric Halo ULN-8:

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/ULN-8.html

I have also participated in the exhaustive 2 1/2-year beta-test process for the ULN-8. It is a remarkable work of hardware/software engineering by a great company. My other Metric Halo gear (2882+DSP and ULN-2) has outlived many other audio hardware purchases and continues to sound amazing.

- Brian Monroney

Re: Metric Halo and the Garritan Steinway

Thanks Brian, that's a very interesting tidbit of info.. do you know if the mic pres on the ULN-8 were used or was it external pres with ULN-8 conversion? I've been reading about the ULN-8 and some users are saying that they've replaced pricey outboard pres for the ULN-8's.

I have it on good authority that the ULN-8 mic preamps were in fact used for the Garritan Steinway sampling sessions. I am not surprised, as they surpass every other pre that I own (or sold, after getting the ULN-8). It really is a remarkable no-compromise device.

The Metric Halo set-up that Brian Peters used was really impressive, and fairly mobile as well. At the time Brian was one of the few people in the world with the hardware - it hadn't yet gone into production. High quality indeed.

Thanks for the info guys! The ULN-8 sounds like an amazing piece of kit..

Go Back to forum