• Register
  • Help

Topic: Half-Spin

Hi there -

This is kind of hilarious. It's been SO long since I posted here, I couldn't remember what the protocol was for posting a message. I miss you guys, virtually. I've been working in some jazz arranging books, and worrying about my livelihood, blah, blah, blah. You know the tune.

Speaking of tunes, I wrote this one not too long ago, and thought of you guys, as being people I could turn to for an honest opinion. Not sure what to make of this one. Do your worst. I can't decide.

As always, let me know how that link works.

ps. I've been catching up, and, as usual, am not disappointed with the caliber of postings on here.

Re: Half-Spin

I enjoyed listening to your piece. If anything it would be good to see some slight pitch bends off the notes here. But very good.

Thanks for sharing.

Hiya, Grebnar - It's very good to see you here again.

This is a cool and quizzical theme developed in a pleasingly nonchalant way. The rendition is very organic sounding to me. Did you use any other instruments besides those in JABB?

I suppose I could wish for more development, but I don't know, I'd have to hear it first. But this was grooving right along and impressive. It's no wonder you're so high in the SoundClick charts.

Thanks for the posting.

Thanks for listening, guys.

Alan - You know, it's funny, I had a lot of falloffs and stuff in there b4 I started editing it, and they sounded wrong to me. Now, listening to it again, I might have gone too far, cleaning it up.

Randy - You just gave me an idea with your development comment! Maybe it would be too obvious, but I was just thinking what if the inst.s made individual entrances, and engaged in a kind of counterpoint before hitting the main A section? Hmmmm.... Anyway, thanks for the nice words and the idea. Oh, yeah...No those are all JABB instruments. With this one I wrote the tune out and all the parts, and played them in "live" from a score. I use an X-Y ribbon controller for pitch and mod.

Thanks again

Wilton, NH

I like this a lot and think it works well just the way it is. very enjoyable.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for listening, Trent...That's one vote for no changes. Glad you enjoyed it!

Great tune and a very fine JABB performance. An excellent
    addition to anyone's jazz library.

Like it like as is.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hey, Jack --

Thanks for the nice words. I think it's the weird phrase lengths in the first part that make me wonder if it's not kind of a run-on sentence. But then again...feh!! Maybe time to write another one! Thanks again.

I won't comment on the musical aspects, I just wanted you to know that I liked it very much. Performance, techniques, harmonization, I leave this to other folks this time. Really a great piece.

Hi Raymond --

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have not been able to write as much as I'd like lately. But I snuck this one in, for sanity's sake. I've been trying to incorporate more slightly more unusual harmonic progressions lately.

ps By the way, I'm really (re-)enjoying your symphony (not to hijack my own thread). I plan on finishing listening to the other mvts tonight.

Go Back to forum