• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic Pro or DP6?

Share/Bookmark

Logic Pro or DP6?

I saw the other thread and thought I would start a parallel discussion for Mac users.

I switched recently and need to make a decision as to which to land on, having used both a little bit, but not enough to make a good decision. Here's my impression, but I've love to hear from guys who know both (if any such people exist).

1) Logic is a more complete package and provides a great set of instruments/synths out of the box, although most—excluding the fantastic synth Sculpture—could be replaced by some better third party product if money were no object.
    2) DP6 is better suited to composition in terms of its controls for MIDI and even audio.

I could be wrong about either of those statements. My main focus is orchestral composition/soundtracks.

Re: Logic Pro or DP6?

They are both great programs but with very different workflows. My advice to you is to spend an hour or tow with a power user of each and have him show you how he does things. One or the other will become apparent to you as the right choice for yourself.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Oklahoma seems to be DP country. I really like Logic though. Do any of you guys use Logic for composing/soundtrack development?

i have logic and i love it. the plug-ins are incredible and a majority of the instruments are amazing as well (it might be hard to believe). I primarily do orchestral/cinematic music and i've found it to be wonderful. It's not perfect by any means, but i really do love it.

I've never used DP, but from what i hear, their users love it too. i would really just try and use both before you make the decision, because its very likely that you will use whichever you get for the rest of your composing life.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I have both, and use Logic almost exclusively these days. It really depends on what floats your boat.
    MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel C2D/4GB RAM; Glyph GT050Q 500GB eSATA HD x2 - Symphonic Platinum PLAY Complete - Symphonic Gold NI version - Fab Four - SoniVox Complete Symphonic Collection - MOTU Symphonic Instrument, Ethno, MX4 Mach5 - EZDrummer & all expansions - Reason 4 - Kontakt 3 -Yamaha S90 - Rhodes 73 - Korg Polysix - Minimoog

Logic's awesome. I've switched to PC since I built my desktop (mac pros were sooo expensive a year ago!) and even though I'm using Cubase 5 and it's a great DAW, I find myself constantly missing logic. Ease of midi filtering, accessibility of the channel strip concept (cubase's mixer is similar but not as immediate), and the overall streamlining of the program is great. I was only using logic express and still prefer it over cubase! (I've been trying to trade my 8-core PC and cubase license for a mac pro for a while now but no luck)

Only thing I don't miss from logic is how annoying it is to set up EastWest's wordbuilder in the environment there. Wish they'd introduce something like Cubase's midi inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDavinci View Post
    Oklahoma seems to be DP country. I really like Logic though. Do any of you guys use Logic for composing/soundtrack development?
    Obviously, I do.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks for all the response guys! I'll be slightly inconvenienced by all the locals using DP, but I think I'm leaning toward it anyway. I appreciate all the feedback and welcome more.

I have both, and use both. I find MIDI and film scoring projects to be easier with DP, but I love Logic for audio, mixing, and mastering. Could not live without either

Peace

Rik Pfenninger

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    They are both great programs but with very different workflows. My advice to you is to spend an hour or tow with a power user of each and have him show you how he does things. One or the other will become apparent to you as the right choice for yourself.

+1000

They can be very different in some ways, you might find yourself leaning one way or another.

Workflow-wise I prefer DP. You might find your completely different. It's to bad DAWs don't really have demo periods. I commend ableton for having a great demo of their DAW.

Go Back to forum