• Register
  • Help

Topic: Atmosphere>Omnisphere patch translation-a struggle

Share/Bookmark

Atmosphere>Omnisphere patch translation-a struggle

It really is a shame there's apparently no easy way to do this.

I'm trying to recreate some of my most-loved & much edited Atmosphere patches in Omnisphere and so far it's not easy. It's a help that the basic patches & their samples all all available, but after that the real work with tweaking starts.

The Amp envelope seems to respond completely differently. Attack has less resolution than in Atmosphere, AFAI can see. Some Atmos parameters (Amp Envelope sensitivity) I can't find in Omni, & others are displayed with different values ((Amp sustain is 0.00+1.00 instead of db). So far I can't get the nice "blooming" envelope I have programmed in Atmosphere- where the sound "surges" nicely but settles down quickly to a much lower sustain- in Omnisphere as good as I have it in Atmosphere :-(.

I'm staying on it, but it's uphill work!!

Nigel

PS Eric has always warned that expecting 100% forward/backward compatibilty is unrealistic. Atmosphere came out in 2002, right? That's a lot of mileage from one -great- product!

Re: Atmosphere>Omnisphere patch translation-a struggle

That's correct....no two synth engines are exactly alike.

It was a huge effort for us actually to recreate the Atmosphere patches in Omnisphere like we did.

It took several years, numerous attempts and tweaking by a bunch of different sound designers. It was way harder than most people would imagine and there are many tricks involved to get them to behave the same way.

Re: Atmosphere>Omnisphere patch translation-a struggle

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W View Post
    The Amp envelope seems to respond completely differently. Attack has less resolution than in Atmosphere, AFAI can see.
    Actually, Omnisphere has far more resolution, but the curves are different.

Study the Atmosphere recreations we did and you'll learn alot of the tricks of how to translate your patches.

Some Atmos parameters (Amp Envelope sensitivity) I can't find in Omni,
    That's the VELO knob in the Amp Envelope section

& others are displayed with different values ((Amp sustain is 0.00+1.00 instead of db).
    Even when values are the same, the musical result will be very different....so it's essential to rely on your ears instead of your eyes.

It's absolutely possible to get your patches very close, but it's not easy.

So far I can't get the nice "blooming" envelope I have programmed in Atmosphere- where the sound "surges" nicely but settles down quickly to a much lower sustain- in Omnisphere as good as I have it in Atmosphere :-(.
    Check the Atmo patches and copy some of those envelope settings. You can get pretty much any envelope response you can dream of in Omnisphere, it just takes time. Copying the ENV presets we did in the ATM library of Omni will get you there much quicker.

I'm staying on it, but it's uphill work!!
    Yep!

PS Eric has always warned that expecting 100% forward/backward compatibilty is unrealistic. Atmosphere came out in 2002, right? That's a lot of mileage from one -great- product!
    Thanks!

Thumbs up Re: Atmosphere>Omnisphere patch translation-a struggle

Thanks for the tips and support Eric !! ;-)

Nigel

Go Back to forum