• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony of Voices or Voices of the Apocolypse?

Share/Bookmark

Symphony of Voices or Voices of the Apocolypse?

Hey all -
    I would like to get one of these libraries; they are both listed at about the same price and would like to know if people have had a chance to work with VOA very extensively yet...I know SOV has been available for a while and wondered if I could find it for less than $499.00.
    Thanks for any help
    -zq

Re: Symphony of Voices or Voices of the Apocolypse?

I haven\'t ordered yet, but VotA seems more useful and well-made, unless you really need the boy\'s choir from SoV (I have not heard any demos of it, but apparently it gets the job done).

I might be wrong, but I believe Yellowtools also has one called Pure Choir coming out sometime between now and... sometime. No clue what the specifics are, though.

I was about to buy SoV, but when I heard news of VotA and Pure Choir, I put the choir library purchase on hold and bought Rare Instruments, instead.

So in conclusion, skip over my post. I know nothing.

Any word when VOA will ship?

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

I think Nick obviously raised the bar on choir libraries. Judging from his demos, the library sounds like one of the most innovative libraries out yet besides GOS.
    I think SOV has different sounds as far as boys choirs, gregorian choirs, etc. Depends on what you need. The boys choir is great if you wanna sound like Danny Elfman (NO, I WANNA SOUND LIKE ME DAMMIT! ) and cool to use for your own stuff to.
    If you\'re looking for a big choir type sound, it seems like Nicks library is the one and I\'m looking forward to hearing it with an orchestral demo (hmmm..maybe John Williams \"Duel of the Fates?\").

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 11-15-2001).]

I\'m intersted in hearing things like that, too.

I mean, you can\'t expect it to sound perfect... that\'s asking the impossible. But still, you know that anyone buying VotA will be playing around with words like that for hours upon end.

So how about it, anyone? I might not be able to buy until January, so I\'m interested in hearing those demos!

I MUST buy VOA. VOA has certainly broken new ground in it\'s expression and the ability to form phrases (sweet!!).

However, it is not a replacement for SOV in my opinion. They are different libraries. SOV tends to be subtle rather than over the top in terms of it\'s dynamics. It\'s \'London Choir\' patches are very useable, I especially enjoy the swells. The fact that it has choir chords (Maj, Min, Sus, Gliding) is also a plus; they sound more realistic than creating your own. The feature of SOV that has not been touched yet is it\'s \'Choir FX\', these rule!! The boys and Gregorian section are good, I haven\'t had any use for them yet.

Anyway, I have been reading a lot about the deficiencies of SOV and it should be pointed out that plenty of film scores have used that library (last one I saw was End of Days). I still think it is the standard in terms of production quality, so I am looking forward to Nick\'s library to see how it measures up. Based on QLB and Rare Instruments, I am sure very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zquarles:
    Hey all -
    I would like to get one of these libraries; they are both listed at about the same price and would like to know if people have had a chance to work with VOA very extensively yet...I know SOV has been available for a while and wondered if I could find it for less than $499.00.
    Thanks for any help
    -zq

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool-
    thanks for the input.

Jubal: if you mind me asking, but where did you get SOV and how much did you pay? The only place I\'ve found it is from www.ilio.com and it\'s list price there...
    Does anyone know where I can find SOV for a bit cheaper?

I\'ll probably pick up VOA later down the road...It sounds like SOV is best to have as a groundwork for choir-samples and if I need big stuff/phrasing I can go after VOA.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zquarles:
    [B]
    Does anyone know where I can find SOV for a bit cheaper?

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    www.timespace.com

I haven\'t used them so I can\'t vouch for them. But, they\'re in the UK and they charge around 250 pounds sterling (depending on the FX rate, that\'s $370-$400) for SOV.

I\'ve seen them mentioned many times in a lot of publications (and they\'re shipping charges seem OK also).

I was taking a Writing for Strings class at Alexander University (web) and I received a 25% discount on them from ilio.com.

Cool-
    thanks for the input.

Jubal: if you mind me asking, but where did you get SOV and how much did you pay? The only place I\'ve found it is from
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jubal,

What do you think of the String writing course?

Go Back to forum