• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Composition: Eternity for Choir and Orchestra

New Composition: Eternity for Choir and Orchestra

Hey Everyone,

I have a new piece that I just uploaded that I would like to share with my friends here at the Northern Sounds Forum.

The piece is called Eternity. It is written for SATB Choir and Full Orchestra. It is a tone poem about a souls journey from Earth, through Purgatory, then into Heaven. It's a musical version of the Divine Comedy, of sorts. I have incorporated parts of the Roman Catholic Requiem Mass into the tune. It has a run time of approx. 23 minutes. Here are the links:

www.jonathoncox.com/Eternity.mp3 - MP3 file
    www.jonathoncox.com/Eternity.pdf - Score file

My initial idea was to use my Symphonic Choirs Library and actually have the choir parts sung, with text. Unfortunately, Symphonic Choirs is a resource heavy endeavor, the biggest resource being my time, so I had to nix the idea.

This was written and recorded using Sibelius 5 and GPO exclusively. I used individual samples for each voice, and ensemble building for the strings. I used Waves IR1 Stereo reverb with an IR from the Disney Hall in California.

Here is the instrumentation:

Picc, Flute 1-2-3, Oboe 1-2 , English Horn (doubles on 2nd Oboe), Bb Clarinet 1-2-3, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon 1-2, Contra Bassoon

French Horn 1-2-3-4, Trumpet 1-2-3, Trombone 1-2, Bass Trombone, Tuba

Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Tambourine, Triangle, Cymbals (Crash and Suspended) Gong, Glockenspiel, Chimes, Harp, Celesta, Piano

Soprano 1-2, Alto 1-2, Tenor 1-2, Bass1-2

Solo Violin, Solo Cello, Violin 1 (div), Violin 2 (div) Viola, Cello, Double Bass

This is one of the biggest composition projects I have ever attempted. It was truely a work of love. I hope to someday get the choir to actually sing the parts. The score needs a little bit of spit shinning, but it should do the trick.

I'd love to hear everyone's comments, positive or negative.

Have a good day, my friends.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: New Composition: Eternity for Choir and Orchestra

Really great composing and one of the best products I have heard
    from Sibelius.

Looked at your score and found it to be very exacting, neat and
    well thought out.

I would also like to hear this piece performed "live." I think it has
    really great potential.

BRAVO, Jonny

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Congratulations Jonny.
    It is really great piece.
    I would recommend you to try with Myriad Harmony Assistant and its Virtual Singer, wich is capable to sing words of your Choir instead of aah.
    Windows XP-SP2, IE7, ARIA GPO4, GPO KP2, Kontakt 3, NOTION 3, Amplitube X-GEAR, Overture 4.1, Harmony Assistant 9.5.1e, Virtual Singer, Gold SoundBase 2, OMeR 2.2, PDF to Music 1.2.1d, Miroslav Philharmonik, Sample Tank 2SE, Audacity, MuseScore 0.9.6

Wilton, NH

This is obviously a major project and I think your work was well worth it.

I started out with the score, but since I was only seeing a third of a page at a time I quickly got a little lost. I went through it and don't think you need to worry about the score being usable, except, possibly the parts for voices near the beginning (first dozen pages) - I didn't see words or vowels ("aaahhs" and Ooohhs"). Are you going to give the choir words in the earlier parts to this?

A great job at a large scale piece. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Trent P. McDonald

Johnny - I listened to your incredible piece several days ago, and when the music ended, I sat here stupidly staring at the blank reply form unable to collect my thoughts well enough to even begin typing!

Same syndrome today - Your "Eternity" blows me away and that's all I seem capable of saying about it. Fantastic work.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum