• Register
  • Help

Topic: Noisy samples in Personal Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Noisy samples in Personal Orchestra

I've started to use the Personal Orchestra and am having trouble with noisy samples. The solo violins in particular, there is hum, rumble, and hiss. Quite a bit of it, more than I can stand even for casual use. Anything can be done?

Re: Noisy samples in Personal Orchestra

Hi, Frisbieinstein

I've taken a look at your previous posts, and it would seem you're having quite a number of technical issues. You haven't received a lot of potentially helpful feedback and the main reason for that is your questions are always so brief, lacking any information about your set up - there's no way to tell what the real problems could be.

There are some very technically proficient people on this Forum, but in order to help people out who are having problems, they need to know as much detail as you can provide about your specific home studio set up.

As for the particular problem here, having an interference of noise when trying to use GPO - Well, there aren't any artifacts in the samples as you've described. No "hum, rumble and hiss" with the solo violins. So there has to be something messy or just plain wrong in the way you have your system hooked up.

If you provide more detail, it will be more possible to help you out.

Randy B.

The solo violin samples do contain quite a bit of audible bow noise. You can try to filter the noise out with a 1-pole High Pass (HP) filter (f.ex 500-600 Hz cutoff freq.). That could remove some of it. But, it will be difficult to remove all the bow noise without muffling the sound. You may want to experiment with filters and cutoff frequencies.

I am running Windows XP SP2 on a PC with 2.8 GHz CPU and 1 Gig of memory. I have about 300 Megabytes of free disk space. I have a Realtek sound card and am using ASIO4All to eliminate the latency, though I had the same problems before I installed ASIO4All and it seems to make no difference whatsoever to the sound. I have some cheap speakers I hardly ever use and some Sennheiser 450 (I think) headphones that I plug direct into the computer.

The computer is brand new, and Garritan is the first thing I installed on it. It came with Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop already installed. The power has a conditioner on it, and I'm in Indonesia so everything runs off of 220 volts. I run under the copy of Kontakt 2 that came with Garritan. I control the setup with keyboard connected via USB. I have both Personal Orchestra and Jazz Big Band and have no trouble with noise in Jazz Big Band. Some of the samples on Personal Orchestra sound fine, I have some rumble with the pipe organs and all kinds of trouble with solo violins. I have tried them all and they all have the same noise. There is a low frequency hum that is louder on some of the samples than others. There is a random low frequency sound like classic turntable rumble. Then there is medium range white noise. It is might be possible that it is bow noise, I'll go listen to it again, but I doubt that, there is too much of it and it is too constant, I think. All this stuff is quite noticeable, I'm not being a perfectionist. So noticable that I am quite willing to believe you that it is not really there in the originals. If this noise is not in the originals, what should I do? I can't think of anything to do to get rid of it. If I'm not being specific enough, please tell me what more you would like to know or what I should try.

I know that a virus got on there through the data stick because it reinfests it every time I use it, so I will try to update the virus checker to get rid of that. I have no Internet connection and do my downloads at Internet cafes. I don't like to post this sort of criticism on your forum, I can see that it might annoy you, but I can't think of what else to do. Anyway, I think the Steinway on the Big Band sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisbieinstein View Post
    I am running Windows XP SP2 on a PC with 2.8 GHz CPU and 1 Gig of memory. I have about 300 Megabytes of free disk space. I have a Realtek sound card and am using ASIO4All to eliminate the latency, though I had the same problems before I installed ASIO4All and it seems to make no difference whatsoever to the sound. I have some cheap speakers I hardly ever use and some Sennheiser 450 (I think) headphones that I plug direct into the computer.

The computer is brand new, and Garritan is the first thing I installed on it. It came with Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop already installed. The power has a conditioner on it, and I'm in Indonesia so everything runs off of 220 volts. I run under the copy of Kontakt 2 that came with Garritan. I control the setup with keyboard connected via USB. I have both Personal Orchestra and Jazz Big Band and have no trouble with noise in Jazz Big Band. Some of the samples on Personal Orchestra sound fine, I have some rumble with the pipe organs and all kinds of trouble with solo violins. I have tried them all and they all have the same noise. There is a low frequency hum that is louder on some of the samples than others. There is a random low frequency sound like classic turntable rumble. Then there is medium range white noise. It is might be possible that it is bow noise, I'll go listen to it again, but I doubt that, there is too much of it and it is too constant, I think. All this stuff is quite noticeable, I'm not being a perfectionist. So noticable that I am quite willing to believe you that it is not really there in the originals. If this noise is not in the originals, what should I do? I can't think of anything to do to get rid of it. If I'm not being specific enough, please tell me what more you would like to know or what I should try.

I know that a virus got on there through the data stick because it reinfests it every time I use it, so I will try to update the virus checker to get rid of that. I have no Internet connection and do my downloads at Internet cafes. I don't like to post this sort of criticism on your forum, I can see that it might annoy you, but I can't think of what else to do. Anyway, I think the Steinway on the Big Band sounds great.

Oops! Make that 300 Gigabytes of free disk space.

Anyway, I found the source of the noise. If you want to play detective, here are the clues.

The solo violins and to a lesser degree the pipe organs are plagued with pink noise (roughly equal amount of noise in each octave). The notes G and B and their neighbors are the worst, and the noise increases as the notes get higher and is almost loud in the high notes. The smoking gun was using the demo keyboard to get the very highest notes on the solo violin. The G# sounds like a cartoon spring, Booioinggg.

So it has to be aliasing on the sound card. I don't really understand aliasing, but sounds above 10,000 Hz are creating difference tones or something with the 44,000 sample rate, and the card isn't dealing with it. So I need a better sound card.

Really glad you sussed it - though a bit of a bummer to have to replace the soundcard!

Where in Indonesia are you?

best

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB View Post
    Really glad you sussed it - though a bit of a bummer to have to replace the soundcard!

Where in Indonesia are you?

best

Barrie
    I live in Ubud, Bali. It is a wonderful place.

I so hate you!!

Got married in Sanur...

My wife has a business importing silver from two families of silversmiths, one in Celuk and one in Denpasar. We've become very good friends with each.

Needless to say we have to do 'business' trips every year - I hate it, but someone has to do security and driving!

best

Barrie

Go Back to forum