• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cubase 5 Expression??

Cubase 5 Expression??

Well I got Cubase today and can not get the expression function to work on any of my libraries. VI Chamber, Appasionata, EW Platinum via K3, Kirk Hunter (K3), none of them. There has got to be something I'm missing. The manual makes it look so easy, just customize and add the articulations in Cubase that you want to match your Keyswitches (C0-D0 etc) and they should change. This is what I can see happening, in Cubase the Expressions are changing in the key editoer and the green arrows on the left are showing cubase is changing articulations but they are not changing the articulations in the keyswitch instrument itself.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Re: Cubase 5 Expression??

Hi Tony. When reading about this feature some days ago, i remember someone saying "it become very usefull after the first UPDATE". Maybe you have the original version in your DVDs, and need to download this mentioned update at the Steinberg site?
    Just guessing, but you can inquire at their forums for more accurate answers.
    Marcelo Colina

Hi Marcelo,

I did install the update so that's ok. I wrote to support, I hope they have some answers.

This thread from the cubase.net forum might be helpful:

Did you set the destination key switch correctly for each articulation?

I can't speak for much of the libraries you mentionned, but I did create Expression map for KH libraries and Kontakt VSL and they work beautifully here... One problem I have seen however is that sometimes C0 for one library could be in fact C1 in Cubase or the opposite I can't recall exactly.

Expression map are like a router for keyswitching there is basically no reason for it not to work with specific librairies.

Also, I did create my map in the initiale Cubase release so the update isn't required.

Let us know if you can't make it work, maybe I could send you my KH map.

There must be a "Expression-Preset" for any library. The first libs with Expression are Halion Orchestra and some VSL libs. But, you can do it by yourself. Please read the manual!

PS There is another thread here, called "Sonar or Cubase". There are many infos too. Oops, you have opend this thread... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Yes could you send me your keyswitch so I can see what I'm doing wrong. I just did a keswitch in EW the old way (putting in the notes) so I know that C0 is the right note. But that's the only way I got it to work.
    I downloaded and went through the forum explanation but still didn't solve it. Thanks though!

Gunther, I read the manual many times on this issue, is there a particular page? Cause I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Also, does it matter if the VST is set up like as an "instrumnet" or a "channel"?

Thanks Guys,

Page 373 in the Operation Manual.

In my manual 373 is about the drum editor.

are you shure you have the latest manual Cubase 5?

On their website you can download the latest manual.

On my manual the Page is named "VST Expression".

If you are at home where another language is spoken, than it shure is on another page number.

Go Back to forum