• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Health News: Guitar Strings A Cancer Risk?

Share/Bookmark

Health News: Guitar Strings A Cancer Risk?

According to Music Trades:
    GUITAR STRING MANUFACTURERS ARE UP IN ARMS over a legal complaint filed in California that claims that every type of metal instrument string poses a dire health risk and could cause cancer to players. The 21 string companies named dismiss the complaint as frivolous and without merit, and have agreed to fight it.

How a product as innocuous as a guitar string came be viewed as a serious public danger dates back to 1986. That year, the voters of California passed Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement act, which made it a crime to knowingly use or discharge any chemicals the State deemed either toxic or carcinogenic. Each year, the Governor's office issues a list of dangerous chemicals. Companies have a 20-month period from the time a new chemical is added to the list to either find an alternative, place a consumer warning on the product, or face stiff fines or even imprisonment.

Officials with the California Health and Safety Code and state and municipal legal officers get to review the complaint for a 60-day period. If they decide against pursuing it, Hall is free to file a civil suit against the string makers. Penalties for violating Proposition 65 are potentially large. The bill imposes a $2,500 daily fine for every violation. If guitar string manufacturer were found guilty, they could conceivably be hit with a $20 million fine.
    Uh oh... I've been playing a wire strung harp for many years.

Re: Health News: Guitar Strings A Cancer Risk?

Now if I was a string mtg, I would want to submit you Gary, as Exhibit A. I could show that obviously there are no I'll effects... And the evidence actually suggests that there are possibly amazing health benefits, such as sustaining one's youth... And improving genious and business sense.

wow!
    my dad played guitar daily for ... umm... 60 years?
    AND!

he died of leukemia!

oh!
    my!
    gawd!

I could sue the guitar string makers!

Of course, the fact that he was an engineer who worked for an aluminum company has nothing to do with that leukemia. Nor the fact that it was actually an extremely rare hereditary form of cancer.

IT WAS THE GUITAR STRINGS!!!

<---are guitar-playing emotes cancer-causing too?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Uh oh... I've been playing a wire strung harp for many years.
    another reason why I like the Garritan harps,
    no cancer caused by strumming
    the white keys of a midi keyboard...

but wait, could I sue somebody and make some easy money?
    I think I got Rheumatoid Arthritis from playing the midi keyboard too much.

what a world, what a world

All is dangersous at least little i think.

I thought the picture of the two headed banjo player was enough proof that metal strings were a health hazard.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Oh no! Is it possible to get second hand string? Say I go into a bar that has a guitarist as entertainment – am I at risk? Can I sue the establishment? How about if the entertainment is so awful it hurts?
    Trent P. McDonald

Coated strings FTW!

Well, the current style seems to be get famous somehow, regardless of cause or effect or expense to others. It reminds me that if a person eats 1 grain of rice every day for 95 years, he will probably die.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    It reminds me that if a person eats 1 grain of rice every day for 95 years, he will probably die.
    If he ate only that 1 grain a day and nothing else I'm sure he would last a lot less than 95 years - that rice poisoning would take care of him a lot quicker....
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum