• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: can't expand giga instruments ("+" missing)

Share/Bookmark

can't expand giga instruments ("+" missing)

here i am encountering a strange problem after update my gigastudio from 3.0 to 3.21
    the "+" in front of instrument name inside instrument list window somehow disappeared. and i can no longer click the "+" to expand instruments
    anyone got any idea?

thank you

Re: can't expand giga instruments ("+" missing)

I've encountered this a few times in GS2 but not yet in GS3.
    My fix has always been to:

1) Click the top of the search tree called Local Sampler ( in the Left of the loader pane )
    and make sure it is selected when you ...
    2) Totally Rebuild the Quicksound Database

Quit GS restart GS

if the + is still gone then choose to "automatically expand..."
    Quit GS ... reopen GS
    If you now have your + back uncheck the "automatically expand..."
    ...make sure your + is still there

Quit GS restart GS.

All good now?

Steve

Here's the solution: reinstall your system and then reinstall Giga then 3.12.
    It will take you an hour, if thats all you have to do. Sorry, but thats the only way I have ever fixed that nightmare.

And people wonder why Tascam dropped support for Gigastudio.

Don't get me wrong. I used to use version 2.54 and I really liked it but their support and technical problems spelled it's demise unfortunately.

The good thing though is Kontakt will load Giga instruments.

Short of the System reinstall consider trying gigaclean.exe first.
    It's on the install DVD under uitils and supposedly does a clean uninstall of GS.
    I've never tried it.

I don't really understand computers that well but here is my how I deal with the same problem:

The lack of + sign is the sign of having corrupted the quicktime
    data base because you altered something. Anyhow, with a quick XP re-install life will be good. Once installed with Giga, don't add anything more to your computer as that's why this happened. Sounds extreme but I would format all your drives as there could be older Giga parts on those drives that are causing the problem. Its not such a big deal if you PC is just running Giga. Just back up your libraries to another drive, and format. Now you have a new machine. Remember, that all Giga Installations go to the C drive, as that way when there anther problem, and there will be, a reinstallation will be a breeze.
    I have gone an entire year with no problems here as I a have not added anything to the PC, except new sounds.

I'd never recommend keeping ones giga samples or sample library on the same drive as the OS.
    Performance will suffer when doing so. However it will work and one won't notice unless they're pushing the performance envelope.

There is no documented, or logical reason that I have ever heard of to not install other software on the same OS as GS3.
    One needs to be selective, in my opinion, and can only do so with experience or good advice from an experienced user, so I also find no fault with your method of GigaStudio only.

However, I have 2 GS3 machines and GS is not the only software installed on those machines. Both have been up and running for over 2 yrs. with no problems. Processes running on my giga machines are 16 for one, and 18 for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    I'd never recommend keeping ones giga samples or sample library on the same drive as the OS.
    Performance will suffer when doing so. However it will work and one won't notice unless they're pushing the performance envelope.

There is no documented, or logical reason that I have ever heard of to not install other software on the same OS as GS3.
    One needs to be selective, in my opinion, and can only do so with experience or good advice from an experienced user, so I also find no fault with your method of GigaStudio only.

However, I have 2 GS3 machines and GS is not the only software installed on those machines. Both have been up and running for over 2 yrs. with no problems. Processes running on my giga machines are 16 for one, and 18 for the other.

I did install Play on my Giga studio and no conflict. But upon installing other software, things did get corrupted and Giga and Xp had to be reinstalled. But today, everything works great. Just turn on the PC's and click on the Giga
    icon and off you go. With Antec Cases, I don't even know they are on!

thanks for the reply
    actually no other software except gigastudio was installed on my gigastudio pc. it doesnt even have an internet connection.
    the only thing might be concerned is that the system (including windows xp and gigastudio) was restored using GHOST.
    and thank you Steve_Karl i tried rebuild database and expand automatically but nothing happened >__<

thanks

I've imaged and restored my GS3 machines a number of times with Drive Image and no issues. I also have Ghost and assume the results would be the same.

I think it's time to try gigaclean.exe and do a clean install of GS, but first make sure you back up your license to 2 different places.

Please keep us informed.

Go Back to forum