• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best SOunding strings in high registers

Share/Bookmark

Best SOunding strings in high registers

Hi Folks
    Haven't been around the forum for a while......I'm doing some movie work now and I'm finding the GPO strings all seem to be too scratchy/ breathy whatever in the high registers.. The Basses and cellos are fine. I like to seep long high string notes in. What are the best sounding string sections at a reasonable price? Or unreasonable too I guess....

Please help
    Mike

Re: Best SOunding strings in high registers

Thats tricky. I always struggle to get a realistic sound in the upper registers. My workaround has been to hire a solo violinist and layer him on top of my mix.

Though I have my eyes on this library- the demo sounds pretty great, and my hopes are high!

http://lascoringstrings.com/demos.html

good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Snedley View Post
    Hi Folks
    Haven't been around the forum for a while......I'm doing some movie work now and I'm finding the GPO strings all seem to be too scratchy/ breathy whatever in the high registers.. The Basses and cellos are fine. I like to seep long high string notes in. What are the best sounding string sections at a reasonable price? Or unreasonable too I guess....

Please help
    Mike
    Have you tried to get your sound by using an eq, perhaps a dynamic eq?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Have you tried to get your sound by using an eq, perhaps a dynamic eq?
    Yes....tried all that....

Quote Originally Posted by Snedley View Post
    Hi Folks

Please help
    Mike
    Sonic Implants are lovely up high, somewhat delicate. In Kirk Hunter's Diamond, I actually prefer the Studio strings to the Concert strings up high.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

VSL Appasionata Strings are beautiful. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
    VSL Appasionata Strings are beautiful. I love them.
    Seconded.
    You can get a lot of control with the high violins-- they really have a great sound.
    Appasionata Strings is probably the best current string package, but at $600 or so I'm not sure if that fits into your "reasonable" price category.

As long as reason is not an issue, be sure to check out EWQLSO PLatinum and Symphobia as well; Platinum has several violin patches that work real well in the upper registers and Symphobia's lush string sound is very hard to beat provided you write either slow chord progressions or fast, staccato passages.
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

EWQLSO platinum's strings sound good up high. Only thing with EWQL to beware of is the amount of noise in their recordings -- it's not an issue unless you use the far patches or solo instruments (with exception of the harp / piano).

I personally don't like symphobia at all after trying it out on try-sound.com, but you should try it for yourself and see how it works for you.

VSL appassionata strings are great, though I think that the chamber strings are even better if you like a slightly more intimate sound.

Also keeping an eye on LASS here - it looks like it'll be awesome.

FYI, I bought an unregistered new-old-stock gigastudio version of the vienna symphonic cube/performance set on ebay earlier this week and wouldn't mind selling it since it's mostly redundant with my other libraries (and at this point I'm only really looking for solo strings or extended versions of the appassionata / chamber libraries). It has the orchestral sections (excluding appassionata and chamber), and may even have the solo strings (though I'm not sure yet -- waiting for the box to arrive monday so I can check with the VSL crew).

Atmosphere or Omnisphere, now, have good strings sound you can combine with another sampler (VSL for example) but no pizz, con sordino, ...
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Diastolic View Post
    FYI, I bought an unregistered new-old-stock gigastudio version of the vienna symphonic cube/performance set on ebay earlier this week and wouldn't mind selling it since it's mostly redundant with my other libraries (...)
    I'm not sure it's legal to resell VSL software?

Go Back to forum