• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Long Staircase"

Share/Bookmark

"The Long Staircase"

This is my attempt at trying to create a more rich arrangement to set a mood. I was going for a beautifully mysterious feel, almost like an astronaut is landing on some strange planet and is finding things that are intimidating, but also things that are wondrous. I was also trying to create a song without a really blatant melody line as most of my songs are very melodic and I've been trying to branch out into more loose music. I still don't think I'm quite there arrangement wise but this is one of my favorite arrangements I've done. I've also never created a song nearly this long before. It wasn't even my intention but I kept liking the way it was going and when I was done there wasn't anything I wanted to take out.

Tell me what you think:
    "The Long Staircase"
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=7605205

-Daniel

Re: "The Long Staircase"

Hey Daniel, job well done!
    I was waiting for some serious chromaticism and got just a bit around 1:22 from the left hand. Some suggestions: you have many long sustains that could use some "slight movement" (counterpoint) "underneath". And maybe a bit more dynamic changes - "swells"? How about some brass?

Honestly, well done! Very much enjoyed the ending. I guess you were saving the "swells" till then.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

<<Some suggestions: you have many long sustains that could use some "slight movement" (counterpoint) "underneath".>>

You're referring to the long sustains in the strings right? I always feel like strings are my weak point because I struggle with moving them around without the piece sounding too busy.

<<And maybe a bit more dynamic changes - "swells"? How about some brass?>>

Great idea! I'll definitely look into that.

Not necessarily the strings ... just your melodic writing. I felt your work needed an "undercurrent" below the "sustaining lines" to move the piece forward.

M

Hi, Daniel

Rather pretty piece you have there - Definitely in the "atmospheric" mode, as you were going for. It's a fair stretch of time to maintain that one delicately suspenseful mood - perhaps it didn't need this length.

I think perhaps what the others have been alluding to is that this seems a series of chord changes without much voice leading connecting them. We hang on a chord, arpeggiate a bit, then move to the next chord. It keeps the sound clean and simple, and well suited for the underscoring for a scene with dialogue perhaps - But I feel there's more potential development that could be done in order for it to stand more strongly on its own.

Sounded very nice.

Randy

Sets the mood nicely. As it is now, it seems to be the background for something else - maybe as Randy suggests a scene with dialog. I agree with the others that if it is to be heard as an independent piece of music it needs something else - a counter melody or other type of counter point, a vocal line floating above or something.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for the great advice. I've been working on adding a counterpoint melody below the piano line in the horns and it sounds fantastic! Really brings it closer to what I was going for.

Have you updated the recording? I would like to hear it.

M

Go Back to forum