• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Remember

Talking Remember

It's been a little while since I've posted something. The piece's title has a double meaning. The subtitle is "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Hapiness". It's supposed to capture a positive Americana sound (ala Copeland).

The other meaning comes from the fact that I had to reconstruct the piece from memory. Written two or three years ago, the only form I had was a recording from a sequence. I looked and looked and could only find the first few bars in an old Finale backup but couldn't find the Sonar project anywhere. I remembered most of it and tweaked it a little to it's final form presented here.

Hope you enjoy and as always comments are welcome.

Steve Winkler

Re: Remember

Much Enjoyed Steve!

Very uplifting! Plus, very well written. Never a boring spot. Wonderful color, contrast, and rhythms.

Sounds like you have a very good memory.

I've had some moments like yours; loosing a file here and there. Back-up, back-up,back-up! Then ... Back-up your back-ups.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

A really GREAT piece of music and SO WELL played by your
    virtual orchestra. Just an amazing sound and, yes, so much
    of it is ala Copeland. Had to listen twice it was so well mixed.

I wish I had your ability to make instruments sound so "real."

Just beautiful..........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wilton, NH

What a great memory you must have. I really liked this. Everything works very well and, as Jack said, the sound is very realistic.
    Trent P. McDonald

An excellent piece!

Great composing (and great memory ), lovely choice of instruments and very nice performance.

It all blends well together and there's no dull moment.

Well done!

A very well done piece, Steve. I enjoyed the 'frolicness' of the work. It would make a great summertime concert-in-the-park piece. You have a marvelous control of the sections. It would be wonderful to hear this piece extended a bit.

Congratulations on a nicely done work.

best regards,
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

AH What a wonderful treat, Steve - Thanks so much for this. Just marvelous.

Copelandesque indeed!---In the middle I could have been rather sure I was hearing a direct quote. This is perhaps Copeland meets Disney. Hmmm, odd comment perhaps but it popped in my head.

Love it. Great work.

Thank you guys for the comments and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

I most certainly do back things up now. I spent quite a bit of time looking for some form of the piece but overall I'm pleased with the "reconstruction" effort.

Thanks for the listen and kind words. This is a Finale rendering but I did add quite a few hidden controller expressions. I'm also doing some experimenting with convolution reverb in combination with the ambience reverb to give an illusion of depth. I don't know if you're a Finale user, but if you are I'd be glad to share a template with you.

Thank you for listening and commenting.

I appreciate your listening and commenting. It was alot of fun to work on and "remember".

Your mentioning a concert in the park made me think of trying to orchestrate this for band. Maybe someone would program it on a 4th of July concert or something. I'll have to think about that some more. Thank you for the comments.

I appreciate your comments and all the help you provide on the forum. I've learned alot reading threads you've contributed to. There were no conscious quotes on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a snippet here and there. The real inspiration for the piece in terms of style was Appalachian Spring. I really like that piece. If anyone is interested in that piece, the Library of Congress has the sketch to the piece online here. You can listen to the recording of the ballet and follow the sketch perfectly.

Thanks again,
    Steve Winkler

Central Illinois

Steve, Wow! Great job on this piece! I loved the drive and flow on this, and the great sounding mix, especially the winds and horns. Bravo and Encore! John

Excellent work!

Well paced (hard to do with this kind of material); and
    the ripe constrasts drive the whole piece. Thematically,
    built like a fine clock. I'm also quite fond of Aaron Copland;
    and you've captured well the flavor of his earlier work.

Impressive job on this, Steve. Now. Can I talk you
    into a slow movement, followed by a third closing
    movement built on the tail work in this one...?

All my best,

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast