• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Some questions on string libs legato

Share/Bookmark

Some questions on string libs legato

Hello all,
    There are some questions I've been pondering, and thought this was probably the place to ask it, though it might have asked to death...
    First of all I'm looking after a string library that has nice legato sounds - I've been looking at VSL appasionata, and though I'm sure it would cover all my needs, the price is a bit spicey considering I'm only a hobbyist. So, I've been looking at PS' String Essentials, and although the demos sound nice, I can't really tell how it handles legato - are any of you using this library and can tell me how it sounds and works?
    also, are there any other string libraries with nice sounding legato, that anyone can recommend?

oh, and does anyone know if there's modwheel control of the tremolo of the timpani in Truestrike?

Re: Some questions on string libs legato

Ken,

I own EW Gold Pro XP, VSL Special Edition and Appasionata strings. I know you don't want to hear this but nothing IMHO beats VSL for legato. You may want to look at Kirk Hunter's offerings. Lovely sound and so reasonably priced. I love my VSL stuff and even though I paid a lot for it it is worth the extar money. As they say "The poor man pays twice" I pay 3-4 times before I get it right!

Good luck on your search (that's half the fun!)

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

For me, the predominant factor in the libraries I use is when I play is does it pretty much sound the way I am ultimately going to want it to sound and does the sound inspire me. While they make fine libraries that certainly can be manipulated to sound as you like, for me the VSL stuff does not meet that criteria.

If you feel as I do, then I recommend Kirk Hunter's Ruby Strings or Sonic Implant Strings.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    For me, the predominant factor in the libraries I use is when I play is does it pretty much sound the way I am ultimately going to want it to sound and does the sound inspire me. While they make fine libraries that certainly can be manipulated to sound as you like, for me the VSL stuff does not meet that criteria.

If you feel as I do, then I recommend Kirk Hunter's Ruby Strings or Sonic Implant Strings.
    I could not agree with you more. I like Kirks strings. Also have Sonivox, and they are both outstanding. Best, Joseph

If you want legato strings, just make sure that the library you choose actually has legato strings,. and not some sort of dodgy MIDI fake.....!

D

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    , for me the VSL stuff does not meet that criteria.
    concerning the general VSL sound, until last week I would absolutely have agreed (I have vsl cube but also sonic implant strings and EWQL Gold)... now that I have the appassionata strings and I must say, wow, here it is, the instant inspiration factor

uli
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lundquist View Post

oh, and does anyone know if there's modwheel control of the tremolo of the timpani in Truestrike?
    I believe that the Timpani tremolo DOES have modwheel control...

thanks everyone, i've gotten more to think about now :P
    I think I might have to go for Appasionata, and dig a little deeper in my pockets. VSL's seem to be the only strings that have have actually recorded legato transitions.
    To those of you who use it; how essential is it to get the extended library? I'm mainly thinking for usage in big flowing lyrical string pieces like you'd hear from John Williams for instance.
    And how do you get around not having a 2nd violin section?

Although not available for another month or so, LA Scoring Strings will also be a viable option. (Though maybe a bit too expensive for your budget.)

I'd also wait on LA Scoring Strings. It looks to be really promising!

I get around not having a second violin section by simple panning-- I don't miss not having a TRUE 2nd violin section...

Go Back to forum