• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: tips on how to EQ

tips on how to EQ

Just looking for help on how to/when to eq so that instruments all have their own space in a mix. Looking for what books,video's etc... others are using.

Re: tips on how to EQ

Here are some helpful things....

You should never EQ something just for the sake of using EQ. EQ should be used to "fix" the fidelity of something.

I do not recommend using separate EQ settings on alot of different instruments to give them their own space, ultimately, that is what proper composition and arranging is supposed to do. I am all too familiar with this technique of boosting and cutting certain frequencies in pop oriented music, to keep them from overlapping and conflicting with each other. In theory, it is a good idea, but to keen ears it's not. I practiced that in the eighties, but seldom do it anymore, it gives false fidelity. "If" it is ever a good practice, it would be in rock, funk, punk, rap and whatever else is typically smashed to the hills with compression.

Here is a video that I put together that may help you.

and a tutorial on audio mixing basics

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the reply and help. I have 2 questions for you.
    1-in the video tutorials is that you and are there more videos?
    2-I went to your website and was courios about what speakers are in the pictures and are those youre nearfield monitors?

Hi Gspop,
    Glad to help any way I can.

In the video, yes the voice is me, and one of the things I have on my "to do list" is to make more video tutorials. I want to make more because a number of people have expressed interest, and I think video tutorials are so much more affective than reading.

The old saying... "a picture is worth a thousand words".

If you could view videos about specific things, what would those things be?

The monitor speakers that I use are old Tannoy LGM (little gold monitors)
    While they are larger than today's popular cheezy powered "studio monitor" speakers, they are still considered near-field. I sit right about 40 inches away from them, and they are about five feet apart. They are reasonably flat well below 40 hertz making them faithful to frequencies of big orchestral bass drums, and even pipe organ fundamentals that reach well below 20 hertz, so no need for a subwoofer. The speaker is approximately the same as typical 12" speakers with the high frequency driver coaxially located. This is ideal for producing all the frequencies from one specific point, an even more critical design for listening up close.

That's great Dan

If a picture paints a thousand words, a video paints a million.

he he

thanks Alan

Hey Dan, that was great! Were you mixing your own work there, and was that Garritan?

Do you mix and master other people's work as well?

It takes a lot of work to make things appear effortless

Hi Alain, thank you for the post... I mix for a lot of people.

The music in that video is a piece by Guy Bacos, he is one of VSL's top demo composers. Quite a few of his demos are on the VSL website.. of course, all the tunes that I mixed for him are on his website too. http://www.guybacos.com
    click on demos, then the first category which is "New Demos and Remixed Demos" those tunes I mixed.

A few of my favorites of Guy's pen is Sunlit Sorrow,
    Sadness of Sauron and A Yearning Heart

He uses VSL exclusively in those demos.
    Kinda how I proudly use Garritan samples exclusively

Thanks for that video, DP Dan -- it was very informative! Video is definitely the way to go in terms of instruction. If you have any more of these awesomely helpful videos, please don't hesitate to share!

Also, thanks for posting Guy Bacos' website -- some great listening over there.

Just north of Sydney

I wholeheartedly endorse DPDAN’s response to GsPOP. I read the AudioMixing.htm. It is inspiring. However as a double bass player I can not let this go. DPDAN said:

“When a bass player plucks the lowest "open" string on an acoustic upright bass, it sounds an E, which is approximately 80hz.”

Double Basses are tuned one octave below concert pitch. The lowest note on a four string double bass is E with a frequency of 41.2 Hz. A five string bass has a very low C of 32.7 Hz.

As you might expect, I agonize a lot about getting the bass part right. I am well aware about the limitations of reproducing sound, having a background in electronic engineering, in particular sound systems. The weak link in sound reproduction systems are the speakers. Many sound systems do not do to well with notes below the D string of a bass. This is frustratingly limiting.

I strongly recommend that low frequencies should be removed below or close to the lower operation range of speakers by means of EQ. For equal power, the movement distance of the voice coil of a speaker is inversely proportional to the frequency. This means that the speaker membrane travels a long way in and out at low frequencies, while there may be very little sound produced. The voice coil movement is never perfectly linear but far from linear for large movements. The bad effect of this is that all frequencies of the original sound are modulated by the deficiencies. This is known as intermodulation distortion. Intermodulation distortion produces frequencies as sums and differences of the original frequency mix of the music. This new frequencies are not harmonically related to the original frequencies and sound really bad.

DPDAN’s video explains about controlling the dynamics of the music by controlling the volume of instruments in the mixer. This can sound artificial. Acoustic instruments don’t have a built-in volume control. The difference between soft playing and loud playing of an acoustic instrument is often not great and usually accompanied by changes of sound quality. In my view, the way of controlling dynamics is mostly in the orchestration.

Best wishes,

Go Back to forum