• Register
  • Help

Topic: Forgotten voices: "Barbary" teaser

Forgotten voices: "Barbary" teaser

Welcome to Forgotten Voices: “Barbary”.

Barbary Grant is a highly renowned vocalist and harper within the Celtic- and Gaelic communities. She sings- and articulates fluently in both Celtic, Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, Irish, Welsh, Old English and even Manx. This homage won her first place in the sean nós competition at the 1998 Great American Irish Fair. (Sean nós - “old style” in Irish - is a highly ornamented style of a cappella singing.)

This vocal library is constructed from over 1500 different vocal phrases covering over 12 hours of recording material. The majority phrases in the library are based on majority of classic (public domain) songs from the Celtic, Gaelic, Irish, Scots, Welsh and Manx music folklore. Additionally the library contains a variety of more experimental phrases, including whisper songs, chantings, lullabys, elwish whispers and basic sustained notes. The library follows programming and editing techniques introduced in our Forgotten Voices: Francesca library.The programming allows user to sculpt- and morph phrases by adjusting the mod-wheel and pitch bender. The mod-wheel controls the sample starting point, so users can trigger off-set anywhere they want in the phrases. The pitch bender allows you to time-stretch/compress the phrase. The combination between sample off-set control and time-stretch/compression allows users to seamlessly morph different phrases together, which brings endless possibilities for creating new phrases. In addition Barbary contains a bonus set of vocal ambiences (note: Kontakt 3 only) made by Steven Tavaglione (Instrumentalist and Sound Designer; Wall-E, American Beauty, CSI, Supernatural and 100s other movies/shows/games).

Note: All demos are played live using one vocal ambience and one set of vocals pr. demo, so they literally took 3-5 minutes to compose. We wanted to show a completely “naked” approach to using the vocals.

Tonehammer Forgotten Voices: “Barbary”:

* $79 ($99 from 5/26/09)
    * Release: Thursday 21st of May 2009
    * Traditional folklore categories for all phrase types, including:
    o Gaelic phrases
    o Celtic phrases
    o Scots Gaelic phrases
    o Scots phrases
    o Welsh phrases
    o Irish phrases
    o Old English phrases
    o Manx phrases
    o Improvisational chanting
    o Improvisational whisper songs
    o Sustained notes (ex. ah, eh, ooh) w/ legato programming
    o Elwish Whispers and FX
    * Intelligent editing and programming (off-set and time-stretch control)
    * Extensive read me install, patch and hint documentation (.pdf)
    * Listen exclusive interview w/ Barbary Grant/ Vocalist (mp3 interview)
    * Sample resolution: 44.1Khz/24Bit mono- and stereo .wav format
    * Format(s): Kontakt 2 and .wav (note: Kontakt 3 requirement for bonus content)
    * Note: Native Instruments Kontakt 2.2.4 / 3 full stand-alone retail versions required
    * Note: Read more about Barbary Grant here or buy/listen to her music here

Barbary - Demo 1

Featuring: Forgotten Voices: “Barbary”
    Note: The demo contains vocal ambiences by Steven Tavaglione, included in the library.
    Download Barbary demo 1 mp3 demo
    Demo by T. B. Folmann

Barbary - Demo 2

Featuring: Forgotten Voices: “Barbary”
    Note: The demo contains vocal ambiences by Steven Tavaglione, included in the library.
    Download Barbary demo 2 mp3 demo
    Demo by T. B. Folmann

Barbary - Demo 3

Featuring: Bamblong (wet, dry, brushed and ambiences). Anti-Drum Vol 1. and Vol 2.
    Note: The vocal samples are from Forgotton Voices: “Barbary”
    Download Barbary demo 3 mp3 demo
    Download Barbary demo 3 (bamblong only) mp3 demo
    Demo by T. B. Folmann

- - - - - - - -

Go here for more information: http://www.tonehammer.com/?p=1882

Re: Forgotten voices: "Barbary" teaser

Could you take a moment to explain the workflow with your vocal libraries? I understand that the majority of patches are phrases where you can manipulate the sample start point with the mod wheel and the speed with the pitch wheel. How does this work within composing a song? If for instance I was composing in Em am I only able to use certain phrases? Do each of the phrases dictate what key you can compose in? How are they mapped on the keyboard. Is there only one key for each phrase?

Also please elaborate on the oohs and ahs patches please. What is the range for each patch? Can you velocity cross fade between an oohs patch to an ahs patch?

Any information on how to use the library would be helpful. I have been looking at Bela D's Native Voices and EW's Voices of Passion. My goal is to be able to play melodies with a great vocal sound. I don't think I would get much use out of a phrse that is locked up note wise.

All the very best.

"Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Good question.

The Forgotten Voices Series from Tonehammer are primarily focusing on recording an excessive amount of vocal phrases that composers can use in their compositions. The combination of sample off-set and time-stretching allows you to sculpt the phrases into your composition. The phrases are ranging from very simple single note chanting to more complicated type of phrases. The challenge is to find the phrases that work in your composition, but the end result is much better in terms of emotional expression. We did add some simple ah/oh/eh type of sustain patches to the library, but there are merely a bonus. The library is 99% phrase based, so you will have to weigh the pros- and cons of each approach.

The Tonehammer approach is about making it sound great- and somehow that comes at the cost of control. However the library consists of over 12 hours of phrase material, so you can literally sculpt anything you want and it will sound completely realistic. But I understand if this may not be for you.

Two new demos added:

A lullaby:

A small choral section using combination of chantings:

The Native Voice from Bela D is also phrase-based (see Francis' answer below from my thread "own melodies with Native Voice?), which might at first not be obvious when comparing the libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media View Post
    I am sorry if anything written on the product page and the guide has not answered your questions. What you are asking for is achieved via the Tenor and Soprano - not Native Voice.

For the reason that ongoing Vocal Tools Classical Edition (Tenor and Soprano) is chromatically sampled and not phrases in the traditional sense, you have the ability to compose lyrical vocal lines in the key and tempo of your choosing as a multi array of vocal elements (vee chay nah tus, etc) is strung together with a powerful and real-time legato.

Though NV is sung in many keys, it is not a chromatic.

But what can be done with the conventional phrase?

. Juke box style phrase sequencing via multi list drop down menu.
    See what you hear! Phrase abbreviations and vocal keys are clearly listed.

. Real-time advanced sample offset for linear phrase manipulation accuracy.

. Real-time mod control of vocal speed/tempo.

. Assignable MIDI CC control of vocal attack, release and more.

. Multi verse creation banks captured via key switches for convenient call back.

. Breath samples with command of random occurrence and mix volume.

. Select IRF, NI reverb or studio dry all within the scripted environment.

If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks for the info! I am glad you pointed this out.

All the very best,

"Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum