• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius 6 released

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 6 released

Don't look now, but Sibelius 6 has been released.

It has a host of subtle improvements that should make editing and engraving much easier. They have also added new features for guitarists, which I really appreciate.

More importantly to this forum, it doesn't use Native Instruments Kontakt Player for virtual instrument playback anymore. It uses a player from ProTools, and provides a General MIDI sound set from M-Audio (Avid Technologies now owns Digidesign Pro Tools, M-Audio and Sibelius). It still has sounds from the Garritan libraries. And it still supports VST and AU (Apple Audio Unit) instruments, so I imagine that GPO4 with Aria will be compatible.

I have placed an order for an upgrade but I expect it will be at least three weeks before it ships.

There is a demo (without the sound libraries) that you can download and try out. It does everything but save and export.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Sibelius 6 released

Oh, I'm excited about the improvements.

As I understand it, "Magnetic layout" is "magnetic" as in repulsion, not attraction. It tries to move overlapping symbols out of each others' way. That's just a nice way of saying that Sibelius is doing more of what it should have done in the first place. It's welcome, if it works well, because symbol alignment could be very thorny in previous versions, and it would waste a great deal of time.

And another big improvement in 6 is that when you have one note, rest or symbol overlapping others, you can click on the symbol at the top of the pile and choose "Move Forward", "Move Backward", "Bring to Front" or "Send to Back". Then you can select the obscured element you want to delete or move. This is a godsend, because beforehand sometimes the only way to select something to delete it was to move all the adjacent notes to different pitches first to get them out of the way!
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

The new guitar fretboard display of notes played back (quite similar to Band in a Box) is something that I was looking for. I'm arranging for a classical guitar trio, and this new feature is helpful to work out fingerings when you don't have a guitar in your lap. I only played with this new feature briefly and I can't get it to do everything I would like it to, but it looks like a useful tool for us guitarists.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Well, the magnetic layout should be a real time saver, but the real gain is the improvement in slurs, which alone is sufficient cause for me to buy it. I have expectations of ordering it within a day or two.

Richard

Between the features Sibelius has added in version 5 and 6 and the excellent work Jon has done with his Sibelius Sound Sets I am going to switch from Finale to Sibelius. Yes Jon, I will be donating to the site. It really is terrific work!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Well, I was placing my order today, and discovered that orders will be shipped 14 - 21 days after the order is placed. So, I will delay my purchase until the delay is reasonable. But, the product is a grand improvement, and I will have it.

Richard

Go Back to forum