• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Eurovision

Share/Bookmark

Eurovision

Well, I am astonished that there has been no comment on the Eurovision awards. I am wondering what musicians are thinking about it. I also wonder if the event will be available on commercial DVD.

Richard

Re: Eurovision

Is it really worthy of comment?!

as a European, I must say I fail to see a connection between the Eurovision contest and music...

Quote Originally Posted by sakari.lindhen View Post
    as a European, I must say I fail to see a connection between the Eurovision contest and music...
    as a European, and a musician, i fail to see the connection...

its absolutely awful, dont'cha know, to say frightful would be being kind. But it has a large audience, what does that say about Europe
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    Is it really worthy of comment?!
    Well, I don't know, as I did not see the program. That is why I brought up the topic.

Richard

Hmmm, your thread made me curious, Richard, so I just now Googled up the Norwegian winning song "Fairy Tale." I've never followed Eurovision, and am not a big fan of the event's most famous group to emerge from the contest - Abba.

But, well, "Fairy Tale" is a pleasant enough Euro style pop song. I don't see any reason to be particularly contemptuous of it. Perhaps musicians too often waste time feeling and expressing sour grapes over other people's success?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    But, well, "Fairy Tale" is a pleasant enough Euro style pop song. I don't see any reason to be particularly contemptuous of it. Perhaps musicians too often waste time feeling and expressing sour grapes over other people's success?

Randy
    Not really. I didn't see this year's contest, but most years there are some truly awful, awful entries (think disco bagpipes on speed). Most years there are a few serious(ish) ballady type entries, some ABBA style fluffy numbers - some years one of those will even win - possibly this was one of those years, if you're saying Fairy Tale was ok. BUt then, other years, it'll be the Armenian thrash metal group dressed as Satan's minions, sporting rubber phalluses on their heads.
    David

lol--Why don't you tell us how you Really feel, David.

It's probably my mellowing older age, but I just don't find it interesting to be disdainful about most anything. Pop culture has always been simplistic and unenduring. I cant find room to begrudge anyone their success in those commercial markets.

Which means I feel your response just underlined my point, David. You'd probably hate "Fairy Tale." It's in the Disco realm, featuring a simple fiddle riff as its instrumental hook. Innocuous, catchy, won't stay in anyone's heart for very long. Meanwhile it's a huge hit, and the writer of that little piece of fluff has succeeded to have an audience and make some money - rewards the vast majority of "serious" musicians will never enjoy.

Best to not let it get under our skin. And I humbly suggest that being snide about other people's work only harms ourselves, not the targets of our disgust.

Randy

hehehe, I'm a contrarian by nature, I suspect...

I just listened to the clips of all the songs, and quite honestly, I think I liked the lowest-rated ones best!

Although, my mind, in its perversity, doesn't seem to want to let me forget that dreadful dance the Greek singer did!

Go Back to forum