• Register
  • Help

Topic: Running omnisphere on an under spec'd mac?

Share/Bookmark

Running omnisphere on an under spec'd mac?

i'm running a macbook 1.83 core duo. i have the required 2gb ram, but in addition to being below the recommended processor speed, i'd have to run omnisphere from a usb drive (or possibly firewire on the same bus as my audio interface). anyone have any exprience pushing the limits like this?

Re: Running omnisphere on an under spec'd mac?

It will work, but your experience will be more frustrating than fun.

So I wouldn't recommend that rig for Omni.

spectrum

darn. thanks, appreciate the response!

so, one more question now that i've done a little more research...anything specific that would be the bottleneck? cpu speed, ram, library loaded on an internal drive vs usb vs firewire? dreaming of the new machine, but want to stick with the firewire macbook form factor if at all possible. thanks again!

I'm on a PC using only a P4 2.4ghz with 2G of ram but using a firewire drive.
    I can use Omni but depending on the sound I may only be able to have one or two sounds going at a time. It helps that I have it installed on a second machine and can go back and forth depending on how much my sequencing machine has running.

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    so, one more question now that i've done a little more research...anything specific that would be the bottleneck? cpu speed, ram, library loaded on an internal drive vs usb vs firewire? dreaming of the new machine, but want to stick with the firewire macbook form factor if at all possible. thanks again!
    It's primarily the CPU that was the issue with the system you currently have. Get a fast CPU to handle modern VIs like Omnisphere.

The new Macbook Pros work FANTASTIC with Omnisphere. They are really a huge leap up in terms of performance....even from the previous generation of Macbook Pros.

good to know. i'm very attached to the smaller form factor...i'd have a new macbook today if they hadn't removed firewire. thanks again for your responses!

Go Back to forum