• Register
  • Help

Topic: Financial crisis in music?

Share/Bookmark

Financial crisis in music?

Every other day, there are terrible news regarding the financial crisis in the world: bankrupcy, losing of employment, need of savings, etc... But it reflects mostly industrial and financial areas. So how you, musicians, do survive these times? Did you notice the crisis in your professions? And, is there any music related product/service, for what you will be always happy to pay - despite the crisis?
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

Re: Financial crisis in music?

Quote Originally Posted by capellen View Post
    ............And, is there any music related product/service, for what you will be always happy to pay - despite the crisis?
    Yes, there is:

• Garritan Updates.
    • New recorded CD's of Mahler, Bruckner, Janacek, etc.
    • Active Monitors
    • Violin lessons (merely, what is possible and how to notate it)
    • Harmony lessons (or workshops)
    • Jazz & Blues (workshops)

Enhough, besides that the crisis doesn't affect my income not too much. We are retired form work, my wife almost and I already. Luckily I made some investments 43 years back and they are paying off now, as promised.

By the way, nice website and you must be proud to have such a famous father.

Greetings,
    Raymond

Hello Raymond,

thanks for response and kind comments - I am happy to hear, you are OK in these times! We are also not affected - at least, not yet, but working in the music area, it is good to know what services and products are in need despite the crisis and if there are some fellow musicians we may be of any help and support. Thanks again and best wishes!
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.

Hi Petr,

I noticed quite a change in music companies - many people I have known in music tech companies have been laid off. MI executives we usually meet at NAMM or other trade shows are gone in the last few months. Downsizing is becoming more the norm among larger companies. Smaller companies seem to be weathering the storm better.

And musicians are doing how musicians always do. They say musicians are often poor in good times, so bad economic times don't phase them as much. Musicians are more resilient and are survivors.

How are things in the Czech Republic? Is the economy affecting you?

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by capellen View Post
    Every other day, there are terrible news regarding the financial crisis in the world: bankrupcy, losing of employment, need of savings, etc... But it reflects mostly industrial and financial areas. So how you, musicians, do survive these times? Did you notice the crisis in your professions? And, is there any music related product/service, for what you will be always happy to pay - despite the crisis?

Hi Gary,

interesting point! Here, in Czech, we are like the small companies - not too much changed. Czech economy is oriented on automotive industry (there are many foreign car factories like Hyundai, VW/Skoda, Peugeot, Citroen, Toyota, among many others), and this kind of business is currently well supported by European countries (in many countries around, you can get very high financial support from the government if you decide to buy a new car and let discard your old one). And for musician, it is as you said: where no conjuncturas, there no crisis
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.

The economy is taking it's toll on the auto workers here in Buffalo where GM has a major engine plant. Layoff and isentives to retire earlier are the norm as well as other major concessions. Unfortunately, most of whatever businesses that are dependent on producing parts for US cars are taking the heaviest beating.

As for musicians? Our philharmonic is on shaky ground more so than ever. Needless to say it has never been good for any musician here in Buffalo so Gary is totally right.

May see you all later if my left hand stays on!

On the bright side, in the past, deep recessions seemed to have improved the quality of pop music, movies too. I would attribute this to those financially backing these projects to be a little more careful and discerning in what they will support. When money is flowing like a river, it seems as if any old dreck can find a promoter.

The downside, especially with Hollywood, is to preferentially promote known quantities during financially tight times, e.g. Star Trek, Da Vinci Code II, Matthew McConaughey, etc. Hollywood's been doing this more and more the last many years, so maybe they've been a harbinger of bad times coming for quite a while now.

The mid-60's recession gave us the Beatles and the bulk of the British Invasion, the early to mid-70's was the full-flowering of Art Rock, and the early 80's, New Wave. We've really haven't had a deep recession since, and pop music has really suffered for it.

Hey now, don't put Star Trek into the same category as Angels & Demons and Matthew-what's-his-name movies! I love the Trek Universe and this movie represented the first good thing from it since Star Trek IV The Voyage Home. (Sorry TNG and DS9 fans, I just didn't get it. Same with Enterprise. I simply pretend Voyager never happened.)

The Trek re-boot was a ton o' fun and the soundtrack was great. I purchased the soundtrack and have enjoyed several of the themes a great deal. I'm looking forward to what they do next!

We've really haven't had a deep recession since, and pop music has really suffered for it.
    LOL, well played!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum