• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Ice Storm flute - Nick Phoenix?

Share/Bookmark

The Ice Storm flute - Nick Phoenix?

Hey Nick and others. Have you seen the movie The Ice Storm? Or heard the score by Mychael Danna? In the score there\'s this beautiful flute used, which adds a very eerie feeling (it plays a bit out of tune too, actually). Anyone knows what this instrument used is, and are anyone planning to sample it?

Re: The Ice Storm flute - Nick Phoenix?

Michael Danna, from Canada is known for using exotic instruments in his stuff (seems he gets to do some real depressing but great films-The Ice Storm, The Sweet Hereafter come to mind).
    I have a Cd of his of new age soundtrack type stuff from Hearts of Space (no, not Yanni sounding-much cooler) and he uses a bamboo flute in one of his songs. Could this be the sound you heard?
    If you like that score, you might want to also check out Elfmans main title cue to A Simple Plan as well. It uses some weird detuned piano and flutes and airy instruments that create a nice eerie feeling as well.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 11-13-2001).]

Have to check out the movie again. I\'m less of an expert on exotic instruments than you might think. But maybe I can figure out what it is and include it on RARE 2.

You work very hard Nick! Do you never sleep?

Scarbee

Nick
    The orchestrator for the show (Jamie Hopkins) says that the flute is a Native American flute played by a New York player named Dan Hill.

Gary
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Hey Nick and others. Have you seen the movie The Ice Storm? Or heard the score by Mychael Danna? In the score there\'s this beautiful flute used, which adds a very eerie feeling (it plays a bit out of tune too, actually). Anyone knows what this instrument used is, and are anyone planning to sample it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I talked to the orchestrator on Ice Storm (Jamie Hopkins -- great orchestrator) and he said the flute is a Native American Flute played by a player in New York, Dan Hill. This guy is known for this type of work.

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    Have to check out the movie again. I\'m less of an expert on exotic instruments than you might think. But maybe I can figure out what it is and include it on RARE 2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick,

Can we put in requests for instruments for RARE 2?

Go Back to forum