• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ethnic instrument

Share/Bookmark

ethnic instrument

Hi,

I'm looking for a very offardable way of just few, but few high quality ethnic library samples. I'm looking specifically to convey the instrument playing the melody on 0:14+ on this track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmU4C-P5KwM in a realistic manner. East West Silk is much too expensive for me, and far too extensive as well. I want just a few sounds (this one among them in particular), it has to be able to be as expressive so it can stand alone.

Any insight for what would be the best option is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Todd

Re: ethnic instrument

95% sure that the instrument you want is a duduk. don't know of a cheap library that includes one but if you're not too picky about the specific instruments, there are sub-sections of ethnoworld 4 for about $100 each, no external sampler needed. also, you may be able to find cheaper options if you already own kontakt.

edit: here's the link for the ethnoworld set that contains the duduk.
    http://www.soundsondemand.com/detail...winds_brass/en

Impressive, this sounds exactly what I'm looking. I checked out the demos. Do you have any experience with these if they are programmable/well-playable with a midicontroller? (velocity input, modulation, perhaps a few sliders, aftertouch etc).

Bela D media have separated their spiritual wind into 2 downloads so you could get the Duduk along with 2 other instruments for just $69.95. It does require Kontakt though.
    http://www.beladmedia.com/asw-dlv2009.htm

Bela D Media's products are excellent and well worth the asking price and investigation.

I knew I had a few Duduk instruments so I just has a listen to what I have.
    There's one by Bouldersounds.com "Bob World" and it's ok. There's a demo on the site.

An other one I have is "Rare" by Quantum Leap.
    I found a deal on that 2 yrs. ago in Giga for $19.95. ( I just checked my email archives to find where it came from and the price )

I just has a listen to the Duduk in "Rare" and it's really nice!
    I had no idea it was so good sounding.
    There's a key switched version that has 16 articulations covering non vib. and vib. ( and the vibrato is very nice ) and many variations of the obvious 2 note trill ( but not a continuous trill ) and the attacks are nicely faded in to give it that really cool feel. I'm excited to find that I already have this instrument.

Sorry I haven't used either yet or I'd post something.

EDIT: I just penciled something together in PRV.

http://www.sightsea.com/music/singles/duduk_1a.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by ToddLurr View Post
    Do you have any experience with these if they are programmable/well-playable with a midicontroller?
    i have the stringed instrument version (santoor, oud, bouzouki, etc). the kontakt player versions are really well set up, with lots of options for adjustment. it varies by instrument but e.g. the sitar has keyswitching for bend/slides (both up and down), plus various strums and effects. i was able to get a very convincing performance out of the santoor via a pad controller (mpc 1000) since i could imitate the percussive nature of the instrument. i hear tons of good things about bela d as well, but don't own anything by them myself.

At this moment I like both "Ethno World Woodwinds And Brass" and "Bela D Anthology Spiritual Wind" a lot. I realize Bela D needs Kontakt. In fact, that is why I wonder:

Is it so that you receive a usuable version of Kontakt when you buy the "Ethno World Woodwinds And Brass", as a standalone application? Can this version of Kontakt then also be used to load in "Bela D Anthology Spiritual Wind" or do I need to buy the entire Kontakt version separately in order to get it to work?

Thanks for the kind words, Todd... and to the rest for offering our products up for suggestion. All Bela D Media products require the full version of Kontakt 2 and/or 3 and cannot be imported into a player. Unfortunately, the NI player is too rich for our blood and we do believe in open source. <User can read and manipulate the wav pool>. In addition, BDM products rely heavily on Kontakt scripting. A remap inside a non-native format will not produce the same real-time results.

Best,
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Todd... and to the rest for offering our products up for suggestion. All Bela D Media products require the full version of Kontakt 2 and/or 3 and cannot be imported into a player. Unfortunately, the NI player is too rich for our blood and we do believe in open source. <User can read and manipulate the wav pool>. In addition, BDM products rely heavily on Kontakt scripting. A remap inside a non-native format will not produce the same real-time results.

Best,
    Thanks for the quick response. Considering despite this heavy scripting based on the full Kontakt for the Bela D version, how well does it translate in playability when using a midikeyboard with mod/pitch+sliders? I recently tried out the playable "live verison" on the net of Ethno World 4 where you get to play it through a Kontakt-play. Considering I never used Kontakt before, is it the exact same thing with the Bela D library (just with better/heavier scripting?)

Playability is a big factor for me as that is how I come to compose everything as I'm a pianoplayer by nature.

Go Back to forum