• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone Using Bidule?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Anyone Using Bidule?

Is anyone here using Bidule? I just started today and have to say the program is incredible! Not only do I get to host my AUs outside of DP and Logic, (several reasons to do this) there are a ton of other options for creating both synths and effects. I had no idea how deep the program is. Plogue has really got something going!

If you haven't checked it out, I think it is well worth your time:
    http://www.plogue.com

If you are using the program what are you using it for?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Anyone Using Bidule?

Ive looked at bidule before, but ive never really worked out what exactly it is for and how to use it, so ive never invested to time in downloading and playing around with it..

I know the obvious advantage of using/freeing up more RAM in 32bit systems, but with 64bit OS now in the main (apple's will be out soon i hear) is it worth it? what other advantages does bidule have?

I suppose a main concern for me is how easy is it to setup a multitimbral instance outside of Logic and then route all the audio back in on separate channels (I like to be able to mix and fx instruments all separately until the final bus...)...so dont suppose you could tell me, how easy is it?!

Thanks

Your post made me curious, Kevin - So for the past hour I've poked around with the demo version of Bidule. Difficult for me to wrap my head around the open-ended possibilities - But I've hit a snag immediately, maybe you can help me out.

I went through the basic set up tutorials, showing how to get a default set up with at least a mixer and speaker outs. But when I followed the instructions for Bidule to make a cache of all my VST plugins - after pointing it to my Cakewalk VST folder, and I could see that it was scanning the folder - only one instrument showed up as a choice, the Steinway. No KP2, none of the large collection of synths I have in that VST folder - I've tried several times but Bidule isn't seeing the instruments, except, for some reason, The Steinway.

Is that one of the demo limitations?

Randy

Randy, I did the same earlier and it got all my vst's so it's not a limitation of the unregistered version. Got it working with asio4all and Steinway and great low latency, added some vst effects to the chain it's all working very neatly.

The possibilities are endless and the potential is there for it to be a very useful tool to add to the collection. Not sure why it's not seeing all your vst's, maybe give Plogue a shout?

Thanks, Tony - Good to know that the VSTs should all be recognized in this demo version. Very odd - In the progress bar as Bidule scans the folder, I can see all the names whizzing by like they really are being scanned. Then at the end a pop-up says it found 19 VSTs - Ok, but there should be 4 or 5 times that. But then, as I said, only the Garritan Steinway has been added as an actual choice.

I'll need to contact Plogue if I want to keep experimenting with Bidule. I'm really not seeing yet how useful it could be to me, but I'd still like to poke around some more so I can better understand the program's possibilities.

Thanks again.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks, Tony - Good to know that the VSTs should all be recognized in this demo version. Very odd - In the progress bar as Bidule scans the folder, I can see all the names whizzing by like they really are being scanned. Then at the end a pop-up says it found 19 VSTs - Ok, but there should be 4 or 5 times that. But then, as I said, only the Garritan Steinway has been added as an actual choice.

I'll need to contact Plogue if I want to keep experimenting with Bidule. I'm really not seeing yet how useful it could be to me, but I'd still like to poke around some more so I can better understand the program's possibilities.

Thanks again.
    Randy
    Just a thought, are all your vst's in one location? In the bidule interface it seperates or categorizes the vst's into instruments, effects etc. Have you checked through all the options in the dialogue box you get by right clicking in the main space?

OK, I'll go back again and check on that, Tony. I thought just running the VST search thingie, as per the tute, would be sufficient. But you're saying I need to run a scan separately by type of VST - instrument or effect? I'll take a look, thanks.

Randy

Well no, that didn't work. There's only one option, to scan a selected VST folder. I point it to my Cakewalk VST folder which has everything in it - Bidule does the scan, claims to have found only 19 plugins, but then only shows one of them available when I right click and ask to see VST instruments.

Also - I opened Sonar and Bidule doesn't show up as a re-wire device, and that needs to happen or never the twain shall meet.

Well. I'm through messing around with this for today, but I can try some more later. Just pretty much dead in the water without access to my VSTs. Hummmm.

Randy

In case you like Bidule, there is a similar program for Windows, called "Sensomusic Usine". It has a pro version and a free one, can be used as VST or Standalone:

http://www.sensomusic.com/usine/

(im using it for an audio to midi conversion, but it can do much more routing, similar to bidule. The video of what i made have been posted before, but it`s here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRo-HG3SQMk )
    Marcelo Colina

Hey Randy,
    Sorry I've not jumped in sooner, I was out yesterday with the family.

Bidule is new to me, I created this post the day after I started using it, so my experience is still limited. I've used it mainly for one thing, but have read several other interesting uses that I will be trying over the next few weeks.

My main use is to be able to organize multiple libraries / instruments for use across both Logic and DP. For instance, I can create a chamber music ensemble or an action movie ensemble or an electronic music ensemble comprised of multiple libraries and use them in either Logic or DP seamlessly. Bidule also lets you overcome the 4 gig limitation of both programs. I can't take advantage of that because my iMac only has 4 gig, but it is very useful for other people.

I've not done anything of any real significance yet, but my testing has shown that Bidule uses negligible resources and I have no latency when playing AUs.

What got me into this is a video by a composer who has used Bidule to do exactly what I described above. Basically, I've started copying what he has done, (using my own libraries) as I like his method of organization, etc. There are several videos on the page, take a look at the one titled Orchestral Film Scoring Template with Bidule and DP. (I'll also plug his Drums of War library, it is fantastic!) http://www.cinesamples.com/videos/

The other side of Bidule that I am looking forward to learning is the synthesis side. I've read through what people have constructed using Bidule here http://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=8 and am amazed at what they have done. The program gets very deep very fast! I'm not sure if I will get that far into this side of the program or not. I spend a good amount of time with my purchased synths and I'm not sure I want to spend the time that would be required to get deep enough into this side of Bidule to do something useful. Time will tell....

Sorry I can't help you with your VST issue. I'm new to Bidule also and I'm running Bidule on a Mac. You should post something on the Bidule forum. Plogue is responsive and helpful with issues.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum