• Register
  • Help

Topic: Out of the Primordial Ooze or Turtles all the Way Down

Share/Bookmark

Out of the Primordial Ooze or Turtles all the Way Down

I have been teaching full time for the last few weeks and doing my other work as well, so I have not had time to be here much lately. I started this one just before I started teaching and finished it up today. I think that since I wasn't composing a lot, my muse might have gone on vacation.

The piece uses GPO, JABB and a number of Synths.

Here it is
    Out of the Primordial Ooze or Turtles, all the Way Down.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Out of the Primordial Ooze or Turtles all the Way Down

Muse on vacation? To the contrary, I think you owe him
    overtime pay. Loved it!

A fascinating piece, Ron, for it's wonderful sonorities alone;
    but likewise, well made... and distinctly recognizable as
    your unique style.

Having worked a little along this line, getting the synths
    to work naturally with more traditional orchestral contexts
    -- to get them to blend and sound like they actually
    belong there -- is harder to accomplish than one might
    think.

Well done!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I know it's been a crazy-busy time for you recently, Ron - Makes it all the more remarkable that this impressive new piece still managed to emerge from the magical music shoppe over there at your place.

Really nice, totally successful blending of the synth instruments with orchestral samples.

AND - since this is a current interest of yours, combining instruments and sounds this way - have you gone to David Et Lux's site recently? He's being very low key about it, but his amazing Sosnowski Synthesizer has been released. I've tried it out and have to say it's the most satisfying-to-use soft synth I've ever run into. --You Must go thither to hear for yourself if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the OOoooze, I had a great time hearing it.

Randy

Hello Ron,

This is interesting composition plenty of dissonance, but never really straying too far from consonance. I love the blending of the synths and the orchestral sounds.

What a creative mind you have.

Best wishes

Albert

Hi Ron,

Thank you for something completely surprizing and utterly fascinating. Sort of progressive rock meets impressionism with just a tick of free jazz.

Your post sounds almost like you are apologizing for this piece, but please don't! Sometimes great things can jump out of our heads when we weren't really paying attention, and it's easy to consider something a throwaway piece (not sure whether you were implying that) that really has great merit to it.

A gem, really! Thanks for sharing it.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I feel like I might have forced some parts of this one which is why I had said my muse was on vacation. I also might have over listened to it as I was working on other things, which may have also contributed to my initial response.

David

I downloaded your synth last night and played around with it some and decided that I will purchase it. I have not worked with alot of synths, but yours seems to be easy to work with and I liked the few sounds that I had the time to listen to.

Randy

I would not have known about David's synth had you not mentioned it, so thanks. I am curious of what you thought of the last chord in this one.

I have my students taking a test right now, which is the only reason I have the time to type anything; although I do have to keep stopping and answer their questions without giving them the answers.

Albert

I have listened to your newest and will comment on it as soon as I get a few minutes.

Skysaw

I guess I just wasn't sure about this one. At times I loved it and other times I thought it didn't make sense. When I posted it, I was in a didn't make sense mood.

Test is over.

Thanks guys

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I like it Ron.

I like the way the harmony weaves in and out of modern and traditional. Very nice and nice orchestration as well.

Steve Winkler

Thanks for the mention, Ron & Randy!

"...I am curious of what you thought of the last chord in this one..."

lol--Our on-going thing about the endings of your pieces. Ron, I didn't mention it this time, not liking to beat a dead horse, - but, um, - since you asked I have to say I didn't find the ending very satisfying. It wasn't as deflating as some, but it still seemed perfunctory and not totally associated with what came before. I have no idea what I'd do with the ending, because I have no idea how I would've come up with the First part! I think I'm vaguely wishing for a dramatic and maybe even unresolved ending, like a big question mark - I am not quite sure.

GOOD to hear that you got David's "SS" - the Sosnowski Synth. Did you take a look/listen at the Demo page?

Randy

Very interesting piece here – a lot of cool stuff going on. Great blending of synths and orchestral sounds.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum