• Register
  • Help

Topic: Toying With an Ostenato

Toying With an Ostenato

This one pretty much does what the title says

I took a simple ostenato in 3/4 time and wrote a short movement around it. I will likely take this and make it into a multi-movement song. The title is just temporary at the moment. You might notice that I've been listening to quite a bit of John Adams recently

I hope you enjoy what I have so far, and thanks for listening!

Toying with an Ostenato
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7633791&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7633791&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Toying With an Ostenato

Hi, sanyarem

"...I hope you enjoy what I have so far..."

I certainly do! I love listening to John Adams - certainly a worthy source of inspiration. He's a master at creating sophisticated sound scapes that can take the listener on such exciting aural adventures. I was blown away when I saw the Portland Opera Company (Oregon) perform "Nixon in China." Much of the audience seemed resistant to his more ornate approach to minimalism, but for me it's heavenly, and he's produced some of the most effective music of the 20th Century.

Your start here is probably in more of a cinematic area than Adams, but I can understand how your recent listening got some gears starting for you.

Very enjoyable - Have the best of time as you develop this on past this introduction.

Thanks for the post!

Central Illinois

Hi Michael,

Your work always has great drive and movement, and this piece has that touch of yours as well. I like the little figure that you built on, and the orchestration is sounding really good on this. Hope to hear more as you go forward with this.
    Regards, John

Wilton, NH

I like what you've done with this so far - repetitive but not in least dull. I hate to admit that I've heard a lot less of John Adams work than some of his fellow Minimalists. Can't wait to hear how you develop it from here.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed what I have. Yes, I have a very difficult time writing something that is minimalistic, I always want to just...add more! The reason I started this was to create a song that I simply enjoyed writing. Since my past few songs have been aiming for some goal in texture, melody, etc, I just wanted to write something that I could have fun with!

Thanks for listening! It makes me happy to know that you think I have some distinguishable style, I often worry that my music sounds too much like the music I like to listen to. Thanks for the comment.

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, one thing I typically shy away from is repetitive music...one problem with that is I end up with a song that has some decent parts throughout, but nothing that is really memorable. The only time I've really tried doing something extremely repetitive...well...I over-did it

Thanks for listening everyone!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum