• Register
  • Help

Topic: New hardware with GPO and JABB - advice?

Share/Bookmark

New hardware with GPO and JABB - advice?

Hi to all. I have decided to move from my old laptop (3 ghz P4 with 1.5 gb RAM) to something newer with more muscle. (Possibly i7 920 8g, vista etc).

I have SONAR (just got v8, haven't installed yet) , GPO (with kontakt 1, purchased about 4 years ago). I recently purchased JABB but have yet to install (waiting for new machine).

What GPO upgrade will I need to make it work well with the JABB (which came with Kontakt 2) and Vista 64 Home premium?

Also, does my hardware plan seem reasonable?

Thanks very much for any advice?

Larry

Re: New hardware with GPO and JABB - advice?

Hi Larry,

hardware: looks good enough. To compare: I run XP64, Sonar 8 Prod, GPO, JABB, Steinway Pro, Overture, on an Intel Core Duo, 8 Gb, 2 HD's SATA (one HD dedicated to VST and SONAR projects).

software: don't forget to get the Kontakt player latest update 2.2.4, going though all previous updates for the Kontakt Player. There are also new instrument (GPO) definitions. I forgot where you can get these updates, but I imagine you can get them from Northern Instruments (NI).

Any errors are just mine,

Raymond

Northern Instruments is Native Instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Northern Instruments is Native Instruments.

Thank you for the correction.

Raymond

Raymond, thanks very much for your reply.

Do you think that xp64 is a better choice (I'm no great lover of vista) ?
    Is xp64 the same as SP3 or is there a separate 64-bit xp OS?

Is this a good install order? SONAR, GPO (original), GPO/Kontakt2 updates, and finally JABB ?

Since GPO and JABB will both be using the same Kontakt2 interface, is it possible to mix instruments in a single instance (I will be using them as VST's within SONAR).

Thanks to you (and anyone) for any advice.

Larry

"...is it possible to mix instruments in a single instance..."

Yes - That's why you want to upgrade GPO to the Kontakt Player 2 version so its compatible with JABB. They share the space in each instance of KP2 you insert. Same is true for Concert and Marching Band which you whould think about adding at some point also.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by buxtehude View Post
    Raymond, thanks very much for your reply.

Do you think that xp64 is a better choice (I'm no great lover of vista) ?
    Is xp64 the same as SP3 or is there a separate 64-bit xp OS?
    Don't know it. Since all negative remarks about Vista, I just decided to go for XP64.

Is this a good install order? SONAR, GPO (original), GPO/Kontakt2 updates, and finally JABB ?
    Any order will do. I started with GPO(original), GPO/Kontakt2, JABB, Stradivari (not longer available) and SONAR 5. Lately I bought SONAR 8 Producer and installed it. Now alterations needed for the Garritan stuff.

Since GPO and JABB will both be using the same Kontakt2 interface, is it possible to mix instruments in a single instance (I will be using them as VST's within SONAR).
    Yes, I started a violin concerto for saxes, violin, jazz trumpet, etc.... it worked fine. I stopped the project, because I didn't like what I'd written.
    Maybe in the future I will do this again.

Thanks to you (and anyone) for any advice.
    No thank, you'r welcome, we are here to help each other,

Raymond

Go Back to forum