• Register
  • Help

Topic: Was Trilogy recorded with compressor?

Share/Bookmark

Was Trilogy recorded with compressor?

I really like Trilogy a lot. I can't wait to get it to work on my main Mac (intel). Recently I'm working on a very slow song, and I picked Old School Bas which I really like. But! It seems that the envelope of the bass especially in the bottom is almost unnaturally sustained, and keep "getting in the way" on the long notes.
    Can Spectrasonics confirm that this bass was recorded through a comp. and will there be versions of this great sounding bass without any comp in the new lib. Trillian (or something??)

Stigc56

Re: Was Trilogy recorded with compressor?

This is occasionally a problem for me, too. But a producer friend of mine generously shared his method for dealing with the problem. I think it works really well.

First, make sure both voices are linked (the button between A and B, just beneath the patch name window.) You'll notice that the ADSR settings in the AMP ENV section for most presets have the attack and decay sliders almost at zero with the sustain slider almost full up. Pull the sustain slider down and bring the decay slider up until you get the amount of sustain you want. To me, it's a more natural sound, and you can precisely control the amount of sustain.

It works!!!
    Thanks Fred, the bass is now blending wonderfully!

Welcome to basic synth programming! ADSR (attack decay sustain releade) is the basis.
    MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel C2D/4GB RAM; Glyph GT050Q 500GB eSATA HD x2 - Symphonic Platinum PLAY Complete - Symphonic Gold NI version - Fab Four - SoniVox Complete Symphonic Collection - MOTU Symphonic Instrument, Ethno, MX4 Mach5 - EZDrummer & all expansions - Reason 4 - Kontakt 3 -Yamaha S90 - Rhodes 73 - Korg Polysix - Minimoog

Yes, Trilogy was recorded with compressors.

The new Basses in Trilian are recorded without compressors (since there are a lot of compressors in the Trilian FX rack and the Trilogy library is included with Trilian)

All of the above is good advise for how to make a Bass sustain and decay the way you would like it to.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Yes, Trilogy was recorded with compressors.

The new Basses in Trilian are recorded without compressors (since there are a lot of compressors in the Trilian FX rack and the Trilogy library is included with Trilian)

All of the above is good advise for how to make a Bass sustain and decay the way you would like it to.
    Hey Eric,
    the fx rack you have in Omni is killer. Any chance you will ever release the fx rack as a standalone AU? I'd love to be able to use it on gtr tracks.

pleeez!

thx

+1 We've all been begging for these fx since Stylus. I too would gladly pay for plug-in of just the SpectraFX alone. I'm sure it's on Eric's "list", but I don't think he'd do it till: A. he has a little more time, and B. he's sure that total world domination of the plug-in fx suite would ensue. Oh, and C: it would include several effects that humans have never heard before.
    Stephen Cullo
    www.stephencullo.com
    Composer

Go Back to forum