• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to Kontackt files...HELP please!!

Share/Bookmark

New to Kontackt files...HELP please!!

Hi All,

Last night I bought 2 nice guitar sets for only 10 bucks each from Lyrical Distortion however the only format they were offered in was NKI/Kontackt 2.2. Figured for that price one could not go wrong!

However, I only have the NI free KORE player however that's pretty basic and as far as I know doesn't open .NKI files.

My goal is to find some method of playing .NKI files without spending $399 for Kontackt 3 which I do not need or want.

Tried to find a stand alone Kontackt Player 2 or 2.2 etc. however I struck out.

What are some solutions to this mission?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

BAP

Re: New to Kontackt files...HELP please!!

You can convert the files using Chickensys Free Translator to some other format. BUT, if the kontakt files use some scripting, you will lose that. Sometimes the awesome sounding of kontakt files are debt to scripts. You can take some time to found if this is the case.

Best Regards.

Edit: I need to add that some kontakt files are crypted, and that you are not allowed to convert it to other formats."
    Marcelo Colina

Hello Bruce,

I read your PM, but I'll answer here in case others might be in the same position.

The reason why they are Kontakt only is the guitars makes use of the scripting features found only in Kontakt. At this time, there isn't another platform that can translate the scripting.

I believe KORE can read nki, not sure about the scripting. However the Kore Free version can only play the included patches that it comes with (the catch for it being 'free').

The Kontakt Player will only read the content that comes with it as well. I wish Native Instruments would lift this restriction. As the player is just that, a player, without the cool programming options of the full Kontakt. But, thats just how they do things.

Native Instruments does have upgrades to the full version of Kontakt from Kontakt Player though, so if you have something with that, that's a pretty good option.

Outside of that, we can only technically support our products in their native formats. So if someone tells you can convert one way and you venture that route (and I can honestly tell you, that I don't think there is a way at this time) we won't be able to support it, if it is something we aren't operating ourselves, and right now we're just Kontakt only. So, take this as a user beware.

Basically the bottom line is you'll need to get Kontakt 2.2 or better to use our products.

Not quite the easy solution you probably were hoping for, but hope it helps.

Hey Emusampler,

You can probably find a way to get Kontakt (now version 3) for around $250 via a cross-grade, like Aaron mentioned. Own GPO or anything else powered by the Kontakt 2 Player? Or Kompakt (such as any of the older, pre-PLAY East-West stuff)?

Abletons sampler instrument will convert nki files but you will lose all scripting, and the results are not always perfect. Kore will not import nki files designed for kontakt. My advice to you would be to buy kontakt, bite the bullet so to speak. Since the demise of gigastudio kontakt is the only serious sampler option available, most of the worthwhile sound libraries are now developed almost exclusivley for kontakt. Its a big investment but totally worthwhile. Its also only fair to warn you that you WILL become addicted to buying kontakt libraries, Bela d, tonehammer, westgate, cinesamples and soniccouture will get all your money and you will die of starvation in the middle of writing some wonderful music...be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hey Emusampler,

You can probably find a way to get Kontakt (now version 3) for around $250 via a cross-grade, like Aaron mentioned. Own GPO or anything else powered by the Kontakt 2 Player? Or Kompakt (such as any of the older, pre-PLAY East-West stuff)?
    It's definitely worth having. Kontakt 3 will also play Kore files.

Kontakt 3 does not play Kore files (.ksd). It plays native Kontakt files (.nki, .nkm, .nkb) + various foreign formats (incl. Baterry 3 .kt3 kits), but not Kore files.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Kontakt 3 does not play Kore files (.ksd). It plays native Kontakt files (.nki, .nkm, .nkb) + various foreign formats (incl. Baterry 3 .kt3 kits), but not Kore files.
    Nor does Kore load NKI.

And again... NI does not have a read-only, non product-specific K3 player because...??? Anyone? Bueller? Are they waiting for devs like Aaron to "break down" and license the player and package their libs into romplers with all the crap overhead that goes with that? Or maybe the indie devs using K3 to it's fullest extent, creating great libs, would just cut too much into NI's crappy Kore Pack niche or whatever it's called...

How many people would throw down $75 to download just the K3 playback engine? Lots, that's how many.

Go Back to forum