• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recording of "C"

Share/Bookmark

Recording of "C"

About a year ago, I posted a piece "C" that was rendered by four GPO marimbas. At the time, I mentioned that the piece was originally set for four guitars. Well, it has been recorded, and can be heard here, by the 1East Guitar Quartet:
    http://www.myspace.com/1eastgq
    You'll have to click on C in the media player to hear the piece.

Original thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...light=marimbas

Thanks for all the feedback on the original post - I haven't given up on the idea of making it work for four live marimbists. But I am glad that it did get played - and recorded - in the way I had intended.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: Recording of "C"

What a huge difference! Strangely enough, I get a much stronger Minimalist feeling from the marimba version. I hope you don't mind me saying, but the guitar version reminds me more of the prog-rock I used to listen to.

I do like the marimba version, and am sure it would be much better with all of the subtle tones a live marimba player can get from that wonderful instrument, but for now I like this, the guitar version, better.
    Trent P. McDonald

I don't forget good pieces easily, Ron; so I had to listen
    to this a few times to get the version I had heard
    previously out of my head.

They did a great job on the performance of this; really
    solid players. And in the somewhat gentler environment
    of the guitars, the nuances are far more evident; with
    the colors that develop, if subtler, yet no less intriguing.

This is entrancingly fine work, my friend, well worth
    several listens to wrap oneself in its carefully woven
    tapestry.

Bravo!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Congratulations on the 1 East Guitar Quartet recording of "C," Ron!

What a wild and wonderful contrast - from Marimbas to Guitars! - I'm not positive if it's because the Guitar version is performed live as opposed to being a sequenced track, but it's what I prefer.

Who is the audience for this group? Their musical choices (from doing some listening at their site) are so experimental, including your "C" - it's interesting to contemplate who their following is.

I was grateful for the more melodic passages of the piece, but found it as a whole, atmospheric and interesting. Thanks for the posting!

Randy

Trent,

I agree the Minimalist feel comes through more with the marimbas (sounds more Steve Reich-like). The guitar has a wide variety of timbre that makes it sound, well, less minimal...

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the guitar quartet recording!

David,

Yes, they did a nice job with it. The colors of the guitars can give the piece more nuance, and while it can diminish the minimalist drive, it also gives a kind of variety that can be helpful.

I appreciate you comments, as always.

Randy,

Well, I would hope we would prefer the performance of live musicians to sequenced ones, no offense to Gary!

The audience for the quartet (the performers) is the usual guitar/chamber music crowd.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.

Love your hat, by the way!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Hello again, Ron

I enjoyed your reply to everyone and it moved me to come on again - It's something I hadn't really thought about before, but I think now that what I enjoyed more about the Guitar version of your piece is that, to me at least, it's a more unusual setting for a minimalist piece. It really isn't a reaction to sampled versus organic instruments that made me prefer that performance- The Marimba has the clipped and driving sound I associate with minimalism while Guitars have a softer sound, humm, softer isn't quite right - but I can't help but picture the musicians themselves, the Guitarists plucking and strumming - there's something about my associations with Guitars that made this version more surprising and therefore interesting--And now I realize I can't really explain! What am I doing here?! lol.

The hat picture--hehe - it was taken for the "Dorian" program last year. I grabbed an old, frayed Beaver hat from the dressing room, plopped it on my head, the photographer snapped the photo - my lady Kate likes the whimsy of it, and so for now it's the image that seems to pop up everywhere.

Ron, it's good to see you posting music here again!

Rambling Randy

Hi Ron,

I enjoyed the guitar version of your piece very much. I haven't been able to listen to the marimba version because at the moment I don't have QuickTime on my system. I took it off (along with iTunes) because they seemed to be causing some problems to my system. I might take a chance and put QuickTime back on, but I haven't decided to do it yet.

However, I do have a comparison to make. I recently listened to 'in C' on the radio, and I enjoyed your piece more !! Your piece is very idiomatically written (as one would expect), so it's a little hard to imagine it for marimba. However, the comments I've read seem to indicate that it works well there too. Riley's piece, as I recall, just seemed to go on forever...

Best Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    About a year ago, I posted a piece "C" that was rendered by four GPO marimbas. At the time, I mentioned that the piece was originally set for four guitars. Well, it has been recorded, and can be heard here, by the 1East Guitar Quartet:
    http://www.myspace.com/1eastgq
    You'll have to click on C in the media player to hear the piece.

Original thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...light=marimbas

Thanks for all the feedback on the original post - I haven't given up on the idea of making it work for four live marimbists. But I am glad that it did get played - and recorded - in the way I had intended.

All the best,
    Congratulations Ron, great to hear this excellent piece performed for real.

The harmonic shift around 1:15 is particularly pleasing - and at other places too. The greater complexity at 4:20 is well executed and avoids being over-crowded. A good strong conclusion brings this to an exciting end. It makes an interesting contrast with the GPO marimbas which I also enjoyed.

The writing is spot on and the performance likewise.

Really enjoyed this.

Regards,

Graham

Ron, I've been completely over-worked these last few months, but I wanted to tell you what an immense pleasure hearing this work was. This is the first thing I've had time to sit and listen calmly to on the Garritan forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Hi Ron,

I enjoyed the guitar version of your piece very much. I haven't been able to listen to the marimba version because at the moment I don't have QuickTime on my system. I took it off (along with iTunes) because they seemed to be causing some problems to my system. I might take a chance and put QuickTime back on, but I haven't decided to do it yet.

However, I do have a comparison to make. I recently listened to 'in C' on the radio, and I enjoyed your piece more !! Your piece is very idiomatically written (as one would expect), so it's a little hard to imagine it for marimba. However, the comments I've read seem to indicate that it works well there too. Riley's piece, as I recall, just seemed to go on forever...

Best Regards,

Jack
    Jack,

Well, my piece is certainly shorter than Riley's - perhaps more minimal in that sense! As you note, it is idiomatic for the guitar - although it is surprising to me how often I write something un-idiomatic; I really should know better.

Nice that you heard In C on the radio. It is pretty adventurous piece to program, and not too many stations would have the commitment to do so. Glad there are some stations like that!

Thanks for listening, and taking the time to comment.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast