• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB In 64 Bit Vista?

Share/Bookmark

JABB In 64 Bit Vista?

I'd just like to know if JABB will work in Vista 64 bit? Thinking of upgrading to a new computer that has 64 bit Vista Windows on it!

Re: JABB In 64 Bit Vista?

My laptop which I now use for music production is Vista 64 Bit, but I haven't found it to be great value. Most of the apps I have aren't 64 bits, so I need to run them all ala 32 bit. That's the case with JABB and all the Garritan libraries.

Randy

Yes, it will run, as Randy stated. For your general information, 64-bit Windows will run all 32-bit programs. Support for 16-bit applications has been removed, however, so some 32-bit applications may not be able to be installed because their installer packages are still 16-bit. 32-bit VST plugins such as GPO/JABB KP2 will run in 64-bit hosts via a "bit bridging" application. Because they are still run as 32-bit plugins, they will not be able to take advantage of all 64-bit has to offer, namely the ability to access RAM quantities in excess of 3.5GB.

I think so. It runs on XP64 (at my system). One warning: I use the GPO, JABB and other Gary's stuff in Sonar 8 Prod (64 bits version). Loading the KP2 players in Sonar, which aren't 64 bits can be tricky. Sometimes it looks like if Sonar stalls during loading time of the KP2 player. When you press Ctrl-Alt-Del for the Task Manager it says that Sonar is not responding.

Sometimes it is true, but most of the times it isn't. Just sit this out and wait, make some coffee, prepare breakfast or else. Loading multi's is impossible. They simply don't load, at least not on my system. Pity, because I have to skip this beautiful Script thing MMOSC made (is a multi).

A second thing is, that sometimes Sonar really stalls. Reason: unknown, but I think that the KP2 player somehow got in the way.

That's why I long for the ARIA update.... to get rid of that ugly KP2.

Raymond

Kontakt 2 will cause Sonar to quit responding when it runs out of memory while loading instruments. The best thing to do is to run the LaaTiDo app to make Kontakt 2 large address aware (LAA). This will free up another 1 GB of memory for Kontakt to use. See the following link: http://www.musikbanken.se/TechLaaTiDo.aspx

One other thing to watch out with in Kontakt 2 is prompt windows will popup in back of Kontakt 2 instead of being on top. This makes it look like Kontakt has stalled. So I usually move the Kontakt window over so the center of the screen is visible.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Kontakt 2 will cause Sonar to quit responding when it runs out of memory while loading instruments. The best thing to do is to run the LaaTiDo app to make Kontakt 2 large address aware (LAA). This will free up another 1 GB of memory for Kontakt to use. See the following link: http://www.musikbanken.se/TechLaaTiDo.aspx
    ..............................etc.
    Jim, LaaTiDo? Ahum. I used it and it seems not to work for KP2, at least the things I described didn't change a bit.
    Maybe for the program Kontakt 2, but not for the player (has anything to do with the program header....?).

Raymond

Thanks for asking the question about LaaTiDo, Raymond - Out of curiosity I installed the program also but with no results. I figured I must be missing something somewhere - ?

Randy

Whether LaaTiDo will help depends on what version of Sonar you're using and how you use K2. Sonar8 x64 already has the flag set. For versions 5 through 7 you need to patch BitBridge.exe if you load K2 with Sonar's Synth Rack because that's the 32-bit vsti host Sonar uses to do the loading. That's the way I use it under Xp64 and can generally load pretty close to 4 gigs of samples. Be they K2 and/or GVI/giga. If you use K2 standalone, perhaps with multiple instances of it, and channel midi to Sonar or Cubase with Bidule or MidiOx, then you'd need to patch K2 itself since it would be doing the sample loading. You should theoretically be able to get 4 gigs per instance that way. I've never done it that way myself but I've seen posts from others that claim it works for them.

Howard

Raymond,

I have had similar experiences using SONAR 8, GPO and JABB.
    I am running a newly purchased i7 920 with 6 gig RAM.

I installed 64-bit SONAR (VISTA 64-bit), did the 8.3 SONAR upgrade, GPO (with KONTAKT2 upgrade and JABB). I have yet to do the JABB upgrade. It seems to be from DEC of 07 (whereas the GPO upgrade seems to be from AUG 07). [this seems old to me].

Anyway, I experience the same 'not responding' during .cwp loading. I have also had a few nasty lockups and several occurences of sudden distortion (like ring-modulation) and once it starts, rebooting is the only decent solution. I suspect there is some memory leakage somewhere but haven't had the system long enough to diagnose.

Any insight would be appreciated. I think I'll install the JABB upgrade since it appears to be newer than my GPO upgrade. I don't see any reason (yet) to drop back to SONAR 32-bit.

Thanks
    Larry

Not that it's mentioned, I believe only Kontakt 2 and not the player was patched on my system with LaaTiDo. Since I regularly mixed libraries from multiple companies, I always use Kontakt 2 and not the player.

Jim

Go Back to forum