• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Switch instruments on same midi channel

Share/Bookmark

Switch instruments on same midi channel

Is there a way to switch instruments on a single midi channel with a midi message of some sort, using the Kontakt 2 player? IOW, can I load two instruments in the player, and switch between them on the same midi channel without both playing all the time?

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Re: Switch instruments on same midi channel

not that I know of,
    Dan

Hi Martin,

Yeah, I don't think there is anything in KP2 will let you do that easily. There are a few workarounds you might be able to implement though:

1. Use two knobs or faders on your midi keyboard to automate the volume fader in KP2. Pick the two CC numbers that you want to use from the "Auto" tab on the left hand side, drag them to the respective volume sliders on the KP2 instrument, and then program your midi controller's knobs or faders to transmit on these channels. Thow one up and the other down to switch. You'll also get added volume control with this method.

2. This is instrument specific, but perhaps the two instruments have different ranges such that one will not play when the other is triggered?

If you have the full Kontakt 2 or K3 (which as a registered KP2 user you can get at a reduced price), the options for switching increase. You can implement program change or use a script utility (such as one I wrote called Quickswitch) to perform this task.

Hope this helps a bit,

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by mschiff View Post
    Is there a way to switch instruments on a single midi channel with a midi message of some sort, using the Kontakt 2 player? IOW, can I load two instruments in the player, and switch between them on the same midi channel without both playing all the time?

-- Martin
    Maybe this. Assign two instruments to the same midi channel, setting both in Kp2 to that same channel. The moment you need instrument A, set the CC#1 to a higher value than zero, the moment you need instrument B, set CC#1 for A to zero and CC#1 for B to higher value. You will need a sequencer to do this.

Just reasoning, not tried.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi Martin,
    use a script utility (such as one I wrote called Quickswitch) to perform this task.

Hope this helps a bit,

Reegs
    Does Quickswitch work with the Garritan version of KP2 (latest) or does it require the full version.

Seems kind of silly to buy the full Kontakt at this point when Aria is imminent. No?

-- Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Maybe this. Assign two instruments to the same midi channel, setting both in Kp2 to that same channel. The moment you need instrument A, set the CC#1 to a higher value than zero, the moment you need instrument B, set CC#1 for A to zero and CC#1 for B to higher value. You will need a sequencer to do this.

Just reasoning, not tried.

Raymond
    One minor flaw in that logic. Since they are on the same midi channel, there is no way to address them separately that I know of. Encore has the ability to send midi messages to any controller, but I can't see how that would make it work with this scheme.

-- Martin

Peter,

I see from reading more carefully that Quickswitch requires the full version. Does version 3 of Kontakt work well with the Garritan libraries?

What is required to do a switch between instruments with Quickswitch? Can it be done with midi messages to a controller? That is pretty much all I have to work with in Encore. (don't ask why I have to stay with Encore...it's not for me, but for my employer who does not want to change).

-- Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi Martin,

Yeah, I don't think there is anything in KP2 will let you do that easily. There are a few workarounds you might be able to implement though:

1. Use two knobs or faders on your midi keyboard to automate the volume fader in KP2. Pick the two CC numbers that you want to use from the "Auto" tab on the left hand side, drag them to the respective volume sliders on the KP2 instrument, and then program your midi controller's knobs or faders to transmit on these channels. Thow one up and the other down to switch. You'll also get added volume control with this method.

Reegs
    I tried assigning CC30 to the volume control and then sent it a 0 and 127, and nothing happened. Wonder why?

-- Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mschiff View Post
    I tried assigning CC30 to the volume control and then sent it a 0 and 127, and nothing happened. Wonder why?

-- Martin
    CC30 is not volume,
    CC7 is.
    Dan

Hello, Martin

I'm not understanding Why you want instruments on the same MIDI channel - We used to do this in the "old days" when MIDI channels were more scarce, but now with our computers and software we pretty much have unlimited MIDI channels so that each instrument can have its own. Makes life much easier.

?

Randy

Go Back to forum