• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Limitations of keyswitch

Share/Bookmark

Limitations of keyswitch

What are the limitations of keyswitching as it relates to the speed at which it can be changed? In other words, can I do a keyswitch between each eight note of a run on a violin? I tried it and it did not seem to work, but maybe I did something incorrectly. I am able to get keyswitching to work fine if I issue the keyswitch in the measure before the passage, but if I try it in between fast notes (by making 32nd notes a fraction before the beat as the keyswitch notes), it does not seem to do anything.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Re: Limitations of keyswitch

I just happened to be passing - without seeing exactly what's happening I just wondered if you still have quantize on the track that you are using for the keyswitch...that would pull it onto the next strong beat defined by the quantize setting.

Turn it off!

I often make a completely separate track for keyswitches/control data

Barrie

Thanks Barrie. I am using Encore 5.x and am entering the notes with a mouse. As far as I can tell, there is no option for quantization. Are you referring to the sequencer/notation program, or something in the Kontakt player?

-- Martin

I'm not familiar with Encore 5.x I'm afraid (a quick google came up with PC-DVD controller - that can't be right can it?) - but no doubt someone will pitch in who does.

It's a property of most sequencers to have a note snapped to the nearest beat as defined by the quantize value if required, as I'm sure you know.

You mentioned that you inserted a 32 note before the beat to change the keyswitch so you're obviously doing the right thing. But if the quantize was set (set as standard with Encore?) at 8 (what we funny old Brits fondly call quavers) then the keyswitch command would snap to the nearest 8th note.

Keyswitch response is pretty much instantaneous in GPO. Well, same as pressing the relevant key!!

Hopefully someone familiar with your sequencer will pitch it - nothing to do with Kontakt as far as I can see...

best

Barrie

Hi Martin,
    As an older notation program, chances are Encore will automatically be quantizing everything. Quantization is just lining everything up in a measure mathematically perfectly (sequencers can adjust the "perfection" of the lineup). With Encore, my hunch would be that notes in the same position on a staff are either ordered into the midi event sequence top-down, such that the keyswitch note is not played by GPO until the ones above have been fired, or by the latest one entered (in which case you'd need to put the keyswitch in before the other notes). Using the 32nd-before approach is probably cleaner.

Isn't there an option to "offset" the keyswitch note?
    In Overture one can offset the "moused-keyswitch" a negative value to start a bit earlier than the note to which it applies.

Raymond

Hello again, Martin - I just posted a question on your other thread.

And I have a similar question for you on this one - Why are you wanting a keyswitch to activate between each 8th note - ? -

Randy

Randy,

I work for a classical composer. He asked me to see if I could keyswitch between every 8th note with Encore and KP2. It's a proof of concept, not somthing that you would actually do in a score. I tried it, and it did not seem to work. I did more experimenting and was able to do keyswitching successfully, but it seems (and I'm not sure about this yet) that if a note is still sounding on a channel, that the keyswitch will not take (at least not in Encore). This is a problem where you may have a measure with a whole note, and want to keyswitch for the first note of the next measure. So I came to the place where I knew that people might have tried these things before to ask my questions.

Encore does not have the abililty to "bump" notes like Overture. Wish it did. We have Overture, Finale and Sibelius, and it would be easier with any of them, but that's not my task. It is to make samples work well with Encore. If we determine that is not possible, then maybe things will change.

Assume that I have good reasons for asking these questions. I have been using Garritan libraries since the very first version was released. I have written numerous pieces using the library since the very first version. I've been a member here since 2000, and have set up hardware midi systems that boggle the mind. It's just that I do not have experience with the latest Kontakt player, nor do I have a lot of experience with Encore. I could do all of this with Sonar in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your help.

-- Martin

Playing Post-Tag, Martin - I just thanked you on the other thread for explaining the situation to nosey me.

wow--this employer of yours and his insistence on keeping the work back in the Encore stone age--Very frustrating.

It doesn't matter really, but I still don't understand what articulations one would be switching back and forth between in the space of a string of 8th notes- On the face of it, it sounds so excessive and unnecessary.

Oh well!---I'm not there working on the project, so I can't really hope to totally understand.

Best of luck with it all!

Randy

Randy,

Actually you would probably not want to switch between every 8th note, but you might want to play a figure like two eighth notes arco, and then the next two pizz, and the next two arco, etc. Like in daya da da daya da da. Just an example, or the same thing with marcato and legato. Violin players can do amazing things with articulations.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum