• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga will not launch - help!

Share/Bookmark

Giga will not launch - help!

I searched this forum but didn't see anything on this topic.

I recently did a bunch of updates on my PC. Some Windows updates (service pack 3), java and AVG 8.0 Antivirus.

Right after I did the updates, Giga will not launch. The app logo appears and then it gets hung up. I waited for hours, and it just sits there without launching. The computer does not freeze, just the app.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and still nothing. Tried disabeling Outlook and AVG too.

Anybody have ideas?

XP Pro Serv Pack 3
    3 G Ram
    Gigastudio 3 Ensemble (installed latest update)

Thanks!

zunam666

Re: Giga will not launch - help!

zunam,

Even though Garritan has purchased Gigastudio, there is no more support for any of the previous versions when Tascam owned it.

I am confident that there is quite a few different forums of giga users that will be able to help you, I just don't know where to direct you.

A google search is going to be your best shot.
    Dan

I'd do a system restore to before any of the updates and see if Giga runs again.

I've got 2 machines dedicated to GS3 and I'd not ever update them or use them on the internet.
    Possibly consider a dual boot with one OS being for your internet work and the other being dedicated to audio and GS3.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I'm feeling reluctant to wake up the dinasuar now and am considering moving over to Kontakt or the like. GS seems like a dead horse.

I just hope I can convert most of my gig files!

Lightbulb Re: Giga will not launch - help!

No matter it's giga or other software...
    I do some steps with win xp to not to pull my hair out later:

1) Install windows 2 times on separate partitions and use one instance for normal work and accessing internet and the other one for music

2) Do not install 3rd party firewalls or antyvirus programs on the DAW windows - use only windows built in firewall with full protection giving only connection exceptions to those programs that need to authorize thru internet

3) disable net card while not accesing internet in DAW Windows

4) shut down all the candy features in daw windows.... make it look like old win 95 and it will work faster.

5) use some kind of ghost partition software and make a whole daw windows partition backup before any new installations or upgrades.... if something goes wrong then You can restore whole partition from backup.

I follow those 5 steps.... and it saved me a lot of trouble for past 2 years...
    JUST A HINT

I've had no trouble with SP3. Stay away from IE8, as that will cuase Giga not to load. Also, you shouldn't be running AV software with Giga.

Quote Originally Posted by zunam666 View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I'm feeling reluctant to wake up the dinasuar now and am considering moving over to Kontakt or the like. GS seems like a dead horse.

I just hope I can convert most of my gig files!
    That would be the best move. You don't have to convert them because Kontakt will load them anyway.

The thing is when you reformat a system Giga should be the first software you install on the OS. Test, then install another app, test again and repeat till insane.

I learned this from trying to get GS4 to work in 1 of 4 systems.

It was and still is great software but eventually you lose in the market when your sole answer to everything is having a "dedicated" machine.

If you don't make use of the Giga editor then getting hold of GVI may be a good choice.

This used to happen to me ALL THE TIME and it drove me NUTS!

Every time it happened I would have to re-install GS3 (and subsequently re-register which was a nightmare after 3 times and I worried about how I was going to continue this after 2010).

so I finally stopped updating my GS3 to 3.21 and it stopped doing that! I think I finally figured out what the latest update I could use without this problem - IIRC I'm using 3.1, but I don't remember for certain.
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

I accept with information: The thing is when you reformat a system Giga should be the first software you install on the OS. Test, then install another app, test again and repeat till insane. It was and still is great software but eventually you lose in the market when your sole answer to everything is having a "dedicated" machine.

Giga will not launch help

The Demo ran fine on my PC, but when I installed the full game it also did not launch.
    Fortunatly I have a dual boot and found it works fine using VISTA as a OS. I got a suspition its got something to do with Windows LIVE. By the way whats up with that
    I hope they find a fix for it soon as I work mostly in XP.

Cheers

Ben

Go Back to forum