• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drop Out Organ

Share/Bookmark

Drop Out Organ

Hi everyone!

This is basically just a joke. After having some drop outs while playing a large orchestral piece I thought: Why not using something like this in a composition.
    I kind of like the result. Of course the composition is nothing special, but after all I composed it just for this experiment.
    I'm very exited about your comments because I’m looking forward to use this in a more sophisticated way.

http://www.Filmmusikwelt.de/Jan/drop-out-organ.mp3

Re: Drop Out Organ

Hi, Jannus

Hmmmm. I can only speak for myself of course, but it seems likely that others who listened had a similar reaction to this - of not knowing what to say!. I listened when you put this up, but was perplexed - didn't know what I could say in a response.

Well, I'm back and am writing a response this time - I'm sorry you were excited to get some comments, and then to not get any. I'm just not at all sure what you're finding attractive in this effect - ?

It sounds like a mistake, and I think it'd be difficult to do this in a full project and pull it off in a way that the listener would know you were doing it intentionally. The effect was more subtle than what I thought it would be from reading your description - it just sounds like a slightly spotty recording.

HEY--But I enjoyed the Organ music!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Jannus View Post
    Hi everyone!

This is basically just a joke. After having some drop outs while playing a large orchestral piece I thought: Why not using something like this in a composition.
    I kind of like the result. Of course the composition is nothing special, but after all I composed it just for this experiment.
    I'm very exited about your comments because I’m looking forward to use this in a more sophisticated way.

http://www.Filmmusikwelt.de/Jan/drop-out-organ.mp3

Hi Jannus,

Like Randy, I'm a little confused - but there is real potential in this (all joking aside!)

Were you thinking about an Organ Concerto where the organ battles it out with the orchestra? If so, go for it! There's some good organ writing here which could drop out here and there while the orchestra takes over.

Alternatively, the swell pedal can be used on a real organ to diminish the volume and create an impression of the sound dying away - but I'm not sure what would be needed to recreate the odd effects towards the end. Maybe a few strong beers!!

Regards,

Graham

Hello

Thank you very much for your comments.

@Randy

The effect was more subtle than what I thought it would be from reading your description

Well, I agree with you. Now I think the delay effect is so strong that you can’t really tell where the dropouts are. But hey! It’s all about try and error.

All the best!

JAN

Go Back to forum