• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Merchant Of Aldreth | a very subtle medieval soundscape

Share/Bookmark

The Merchant Of Aldreth | a very subtle medieval soundscape

Hello,
    as I'm currently 'working' (non-commercial project) as a sound producer for an addon campaign of a PC game that's in a kind-of medievalish setting, a peaceful and calm background music depicting the innocence of the medieval towsfolk was required. And thus I created 'The Merchant Of Aldreth', and as you will hear, it's very-very subtle, almost no musical themes in it at all.. and it uses just a couple of instruments, the harp, some strings and choir - all from Garritan here.
    So, prepare for a relaxing journey into the fictional city of Aldreth and the doings of an occasional merchant whose daily life I tried to depict in this work!

The Merchant Of Aldreth: http://www.box.net/shared/egmrslepep

EDIT: DanielB was right, link fixed now, sorry for the inconvenience! That happens when you try to give 'names' to links..
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: The Merchant Of Aldreth | a very subtle medieval soundscape

Sorry, I couldn't find the link to the mp3!

Seems below your description, the blue text is just... blue text.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Well, Daniel, he warned us it's Very Subtle. We just didn't realize it would be sooooooooooo subtle that it's not even there!

Randy

Just check the first post again, it is there, I fixed the 'link'..
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Well, seems like rbowser has made all people flee from this thread, but in my opinion it's sad yet perfectly human that I made such an error in my first post. I fixed the link now and am still expecting criticism and constructive feedback from all of you. Thank you..

--Brindle - ! - I beg your pardon if my little chuckle offended you. Good heavens, probably All of us have made errors in our posts before, I sure know that I have.

A tip for doing what you were trying to do - type the text first, highlight it, click the "Insert Link" button, paste in the URL - ta da.

You can't honestly think my post drove people away--You edited your first post so that anyone can see the link works. - Please don't blame me for your initial error.

Now, the important stuff--Your music! - What a fun project you're working on. For one thing, I think it's great that this is for a PC game, but one couldn't Possibly make that assumption just from listening.

Marvelous use of your simple palette. It would be too little to say the piece is just "peaceful," there's a suggestion of deep currents lying beneath the gentle stream of your composition.

You said the three instruments are all Garritan, so I guess you did this in Finale which has the Choir available?

Nice work - THANks for the post. - and um---I trust you're not still blaming me for anything.

Randy

It's all good, Randy Thanks, too.

Very subtle and peaceful. Pastoral. It makes me think of the early morning sun burning the light fog from fields surrounded by stone walls. I'm sure it works well with the video game.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum