• Register
  • Help

Topic: I don't know why or what I'm doing.

Share/Bookmark

Talking I don't know why or what I'm doing.

Didja ever have one of those weeks when no matter what you so nothing comes out right? Not that "right" ever happens but yeeeshhh! I have this short piece of music which I recorded for the sole purpose of learning how to mix drums, guitar(s), VSTi's, but mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I've already applied for classes in composition at the university and now I'm thinking of adding audio engineering / producing (if I can swing it). Imagine me going back to college at my age. Why I'll be the only decomposing composer in composition classes!

However, I am looking into on line courses in recording which I've never considered before (or B3 )

So here is my suggestion .... and it's aimed at DPDAN. I think it's about time you looked into starting your own on line courses in the art of mixing and mastering! I'll be your first student. Where do I sign?

All kidding aside ... I'm having a hard time mixing this piece of carp and it is defensively not the DAW! I have Cubase, Acid Pro 7, and Samplitude 10.2 Pro all working on the same shhhhtuffff. Boy, how my inabilities show upon playback! I even tossed those pesky Behringer monitors and replaced the with KRK's.

Anyway, back to DPDAN's tutorial (as well as others).

Re: I don't know why or what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    ..... I even tossed those pesky Behringer monitors and replaced the with KRK's.
    Hello Styxx,

I just bought a pair of KRKs too. I haven't even plugged them in yet. I got the VXT 6, which ones did you get?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I opted for the Rokit 8 powered monitors. Broght with me a copy of GPO Christmas CD. I spent quite a bit of time at Guitar Center driving the sales person crazy having him switch between KRK, Mackie, M-Audio (which by the way were not that bad except for something strange happening I just couldn't put my finger on it. It was as if the center of the mids were none existent.) Is that possible? The Mackies sound nice and so did Yamaha's and naturally Evant, Adam's, and a few other high end out of my price range babies. DPDAN's mastering wizardry was the best music I could have played to test all the monitors. I also brought a couple other rock, jazz, and blues CD's.

I was sold on the KRK Rokit 8's and threw in the sub just for grins. Surprisingly, the sub works well for certain genre's like dance techno.

Plug them babies in Michael you will not regret it!

Ah, it's easy, Styxx - Ya just record everything dry at a good full volume, then pull all the faders down to zero, slowly start adding them until it sounds good. Move them pans around so it's not all coming out of the same place. Strap on some reverb at different levels. Dampen down ugly frequencies if there are any. Voila - You're Mixed!

Two months later, you'll have at least 30 seconds of music done. See how easy it is?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ah, it's easy, styxx - ya just record everything dry at a good full volume, then pull all the faders down to zero, slowly start adding them until it sounds good. Move them pans around so it's not all coming out of the same place. Strap on some reverb at different levels. Dampen down ugly frequencies if there are any. Voila - you're mixed!

Two months later, you'll have at least 30 seconds of music done. See how easy it is?

randy
    perfect!!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

and GREAT ADVICE on how to title a piece from another member of this forum:

"How to title a piece of music:
    Decide on a central unifying concept
    Come up with a title reflecting the concept.
    Plan out the song to effectively articulate the concept.
    Execute the plan with an eye toward realizing the concept.
    Realize [you've] screwed up big time and failed grievously at all the above.
    Give it a random title involving planets and faeries." - Chris P. Lorán
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hahahahahahaha You guys are freaking nuttier than I am.

Regardless ... I took your advice, and, well .... I took your advice.

Idea, Styxx - You could post screenshots of your test project, the mixer in particular - Dan and others of us may spot Bad Stuff.

But it's possible you're doing things basically correctly, you just are having a hard time getting things to sound the way you want despite having things set up right. All I can say is - I go there Every time I do a mix.

Randy

I think the first real step in being able to create good mixes is to realize that what you are currently producing is baaad. Really, truly, undeniably bad. (I'm not referring to your music, Styxx, ha ) That's like the key-- if someone thinks their stuff is great, and the world disagrees, they're probably not likely to improve their skills!

That being said, obviously there is a lot to learn in order to get on that path of making things good. Btw check out http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/ this is a great product called Golden Ears which has cd's that help you learn to hear on a professional audio engineering level-- frequencies, volume change, reverb times, distortion. They are done really well!

And good luck!
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    However, I am looking into on line courses in recording which I've never considered before (or B3 )

Oh my gosh! I haven't seen that happy joke in years. DECADES, actually! The whole "Before" pun or "B4" if referring to a musical score. Love the Puns!

With thoughtful regards to the actual point of this thread of your, Styxx. . . I sooooooooooooooo relate to the whole "getting it right" thing with the whole mixing music process. It is a skill in and of itself. My deepest respect to Dan and others who have the magic touch and the magic ears to make great music sound even greater through the mixing process.

Happy music (and punning) to us all!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum