• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Just wanted to share some good news with the good folks round here!

Share/Bookmark
    Mayor

Thumbs up Just wanted to share some good news with the good folks round here!

Hi everyone,

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to share my news with you.

Two weeks ago tonight, I was inaugurated as the Civic Mayor of Tameside here in the North West of England. My wife, Francoise is now the Mayoress.
    It's a position that is only held for a year, unlike the European and US models, which are for considerably longer and which come with quite a degree of power.

The Civic Mayoralty, as the title perhaps suggests, is much more concerned with tradition and ceremony, and involves a heavy schedule of events and visits. We have already attended lots of functions, the best ones being those that celebrate the work and achievements of local "unsung heroes", and giving them a 'pat on the back' for the fantastic work that they do. We also attend functions which allow us to interact and mix with dignitaries from other authorities and even from foreign shores. Tonight we've been to a function in Manchester hosted by the Italian Consul - who we got on with very well, along with other Consuls and Honorary Consuls. Effectively, we stand in locally for the Queen. All in all we expect to attend upwards of 600 engagements in the year.

I don't know whether I'll have time to write much music this year, but I do intend to use my musical background to raise money for my Charity Fund -which will be dedicated to a number of local worthy causes. If I get the chance I may try to do a CD (or downloadable selection of pieces) which if people will pay a small amount for, will also go to my Charity.

If you're interested in finding out a little more, then you can have a look at the following link (and surf the associated links on that page).

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/mayor

from there, there's a link to a video of the Inauguration Ceremony in our Council Chamber - but I wouldn't expect anyone to sit watching that! It lasts for ages!

Lastly, please don't think I'm in any way showing off about this. Of course I'm very proud to take on this incredible role, but only in so far as it gives me the power to make those 'unsung heroes' feel good about themselves, and it gives me the opportunity to raise funds for some very worthy causes.

Best wishes to everyone,

John.

Re: Just wanted to share some good news with the good folks round here!

Congratulations John,
    Looks like an interesting year ahead for you
    We'll wave to you in Sept as we take the train from Manchester to Skipton to walk Lady Anne's Way through the Yorkshire Dales.

I see there's a Whit Friday Brass Band Contest. I do love British Bands and am so glad that Garritan's C&MB has a BB multi.

Anyway, good luck in the coming year!
    Fred

Mayor

Thank you for your good wishes Fred.

You've chosen an incredibly beautiful part of our little island to visit, - the Yorkshire Dales - I'm sure you'll love it, especially if the weather's half as nice as it's been recently - a far cry from what people expect round here!

The Whit Friday band Contest is an annual Pilgrimage for many. It's a fantastic occasion with many of the best bands in the land playing superbly for their share of the incredibly generous prize money. I've a busy day on Friday. Early morning I'm with the Whit Friday walks in small local town. Afterwards I'll be at the funeral of a dear colleague and friend who sadly died recently, and then from about 5pm to 11:15pm I'll be visiting the Whit Friday Band contest venues - each in turn. Fortunately it's one of those occasions where we're driven there in an official car - so no need to worry about finding parking places!

I have Garritan C & MB too and it's wonderful to be able to do mock ups of bands with it.

If you're in Manchester in September, you are most welcome to come and spend an hour or so with me in the Mayor's Parlour in the Town Hall. We're only 20 minutes away from Manchester, so depending on your schedule, it should be perfectly feasible. PM or email me with any possible dates/times you'd be available and we'll sort something out. It would be my pleasure.

Best wishes,

John

PS If you can't make it, have a wonderful trip to Skipton and the Yorkshire Dales!

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post
    Congratulations John,
    Looks like an interesting year ahead for you
    We'll wave to you in Sept as we take the train from Manchester to Skipton to walk Lady Anne's Way through the Yorkshire Dales.

I see there's a Whit Friday Brass Band Contest. I do love British Bands and am so glad that Garritan's C&MB has a BB multi.

Anyway, good luck in the coming year!
    Fred

What a fantastic thing, John - ! Thanks so much for letting us in on this unusual honor you and your wife have received. Just think of all these interesting "unsung heroes" you'll be meeting and giving a touch of joy to. It's just the greatest!

Randy

Congratulations on your new position - albeit for just a year. I think the whole concept is absolutely wonderful!

Congratulations!

A look at your photo shows a noble and dignified man who will fulfil(l) his duties with all appropriate good humor, pomp, and circumstance!

OF COURSE, Your Honor will do EVERYTHING in his considerable power to promote the two great hobbies of Brass Banding and Amateur Radio

What a superb honor!!

Jim N9EJR
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Holy carp! That's awesome! Congrats!

It's a position that is only held for a year, unlike the European and US models, which are for considerably longer and which come with quite a degree of power.
    Yeah, like the power to tax the tax that the tax was taxed before the new tax for paying tax on taxes that no one has money to pay a tax on!
    Our NYS mayor has a new name ... Sheriff of Nottingham.

Well, whatever ... Very happy for you and may God bless you in your new position.

Congratulations, Mr. Mayor!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A hearty CONGRATULATIONS Mayor! That is quite an honor and undoubtedly well-deserved. What a dream job - just partying with dignitaries all the time.

We will ask the admins if they can give you the title of "Mayor" on the forum.

All the best,

Gary

Many congratulations, John! Have you kissed any babies yet? Is there a quota you'll have to fill?

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum