• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Short Film

Share/Bookmark

Cool The Short Film

Some of you may remember a while back (like in the fall) I was asked to compose music for a short film. It was all a part of a "48 hour" film festival contest in which the film crew, director, producer, and musical director (that's me) had to come up with a short film no longer than seven minutes in forty eight hours. It was the fastest piece of music I ever slapped together. The producer wanted something corny from the 50's and his suggestion was something on the line of Lawrence Welk bubbly TV show music. So, I purchase and old book on Welk's music and began to play the parts in to get a feel of the style. So, it sounds quite like Welk's music except for the solo instrument. Basicly a variation of the style pretty much bits and pieces of several instrumentals from his show. It was hard to get the sound of that area just using on library. I decided I would use a combination of sounds from and old SC 88 sound canvas, GPO, and JABB. Well, to make a short story long ... I've been asked to burn a "finished" copy of the music. Apparently, PBS will be showing the top three winners of the contest some time soon this spring. I'm excited and busy now re-mastering the bastering thing! Boy, I wish the heal I had time to send it on over to Mr. DPDAN but it has to be ready by tomorrow morning for pick up by one of the crew.

Dan, I'm doing the best I can with as little time I have (and one handed literally).

For anyone interested I will post the date and time as well as channels as soon as I get the information. I know this is no where near Hollywood status and caliber but it's probably the only time I'll have to even come as minutely close considering this is Buffalo, home of limited opportunities in entertainment yet alone writing for film. So, give a break ... cut me some slack ... Jack!

Re: The Short Film

Fantastic news! Congrats! When when when?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

It's 11:44 edt and my loratab ezz wearing off. Actually, I think I am over doing it a bit with the mouse in the left hand (Mickey Mouse that is!) and me right arm securely wrapped to my side so as not to move it under it's own power. Ha! Like I had it on all this time!

Thanks gents. I know this is no where near what all you guys have opportunities but I at least have a small taste of how much work and how much fun it really is.

I'll be talking to one of the actors tomorrow. I'll see if he has any information as to the date and time of the PBS showing.

It's time to rest me wewwy head.

Question Re: The Short Film

Back at it again this morning checking levels, subtracting this adding that and whatever in an attempt to make perfect before I give it up to the producer. Upon talking to him this morning, he was very kind in letting me know that what I had before was perfect sounding to the point where no alterations were needed for the film. Naturally, I am not satisfied so here I am tying several different things to better the mix. So far I have mix down 9 mixes and settled on not one. The problem I am having is the overall volume after record to CD. No clipping, distortion, or overly emphasized part dominating the mix. It's when I play back a take and the overall level is a quarter louder than during mix down to CD. Can't figure out why. All the levels recording are the same as playback yet playback is a quarter louder. ?? Any ideas?

I plan on mixing down several more. When the producer and director stop in I'll have them give a listen. There might be something I am not hearing or doing write.

Just thought I would ask if some one had an idea what I may be doing to cause this problem.

Strange - But, Styxx, if this louder mix down isn't distorting - there's no problem. I don't know what's making it do that, but volume is relative, they'll mix it into the film as needed anyway--they need a strong level 0 DB mix, so----If there's no distortion, no worries.

Randy

Please excuse my lack of knowledge how all this works out in the film industry. First timer old whiner. You're right, no distortion just a couple of hot mixes!

I listen to all 8 mixes in several players including my theater surround sound unit which scared the heck out of me because the sub woofer was up all the way. I thought I had too much bass in the mix until turning down the sub to a more comfortable level (my teens like to play their music with Bass on full and highs off completely). Once I had reconfigured the system I was please to hear a more balanced sound.
    Next, I use a boom box of modest level and again not bad. After, I moved on into my SUV and cranked it as much as possible. No distortion and the levels sound pleasing. Last, I move on into my wife's car and the outcome was pretty much the same only better because her system is a few steps above mine.
    It comes down to tracks 6 or 8 that of which I will give both to the producer and let him decide.

Maybe if I get time I'll burn an MP3 and try to post here later. Thanks for the uplifting and valuable suggestions.

Hi Styxx. Congrats. I'm with the others - you'll have to let us know when it's going to be on.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks Trent. Just sitting here tonight thinking just what exactly will this all amount to? I did have one of the best times of my life putting together the music and last fall at the showing both my wife and I were very thrilled to hear the music throughout highlighting the film.
    This type of opportunity just seems to never happen to a schmuck like me. Regardless, I'll take it!

Go Back to forum