• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Organarama Nr. 1

Share/Bookmark

Organarama Nr. 1

Organarama Nr. 1

All sounds are GPO organ, slightly modified by me. You might find some traces of tonality here. I have used more registration changes and tempo changes than I usually use. This piece seemed to demand such treatment. This piece is the first of a series. It began as an offbeat idea I had, that was nearly scrapped as terminally boring, but after 30 or so rewrites, I like it, so here it is.

Richard

Re: Organarama Nr. 1

brilliant work! it's a toccata I'd say. Nice tone. I just got GPO, haven't installed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInFL View Post
    brilliant work! it's a toccata I'd say. Nice tone. I just got GPO, haven't installed it yet.

Well, thank you. I did not consider form in the usual sense when I wrote this, but, toccata would describe it.

Now, sit down and install your GPO. It is not of any use just sitting in the box!

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 06-03-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Hi Richard. I liked this a lot. Very recognizable as one of yours. "Toccata" does fit very well.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Hi Richard. I liked this a lot. Very recognizable as one of yours. "Toccata" does fit very well.
    Well, thank you Trent. I am encouraged to proceed with more of the series. But first, I have an idea for a piano work, presently rather shapeless in my mind.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    ..... I am encouraged to proceed with more of the series. But first, I have an idea for a piano work, presently rather shapeless in my mind.
    Sounds like you're going to be rather busy Richard! This is an excellent piece of work that most certainly calls for more in the series. You'll have to clone yourself so that you can work towards this and the piano work - at the same time!

Some good colours work their way into this, helped by the changes of registration and tempo that you refer to. Perhaps more of a Fantasia than a Toccata - but your choice of 'Organarama' is a fitting title. If you can't stretch to a complete series, maybe consider following this with a short Fugue - Wayland's Fantasia and Fugue!

Kind regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post

. . . maybe consider following this with a short Fugue - Wayland's Fantasia and Fugue!

Kind regards,

Graham
    Thanks. That is a good idea, and probably will work out better than a series or suite or ? Fantasia and something or other sound like the way to go!

Richard

Reading the discussions in this thread, I would agree that this piece is more a fantasia then a toccata. It has some wonderful little themes that come and go and some nice light sections. Some of the chordal interludes seem to make it gel (for me anyway). I would agree that the direction of this work would be better served with a fugue following this fantasia and presumably using some of the motivic ideas you have already stated.

I enjoyed the listen. Thanks!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I love this Richard.

This would make a killer intro to one of my songs.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Well, I have considered all comments. The piece has now become Fantasia and Canon. A fugue or fugato will be appended later. The Fantasia and Canon will be available in a few days.

Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast