• Register
  • Help

Topic: Play Doesn't Playback

Share/Bookmark

Play Doesn't Playback

I just got East West's Play Voices of Passion and Play Storm Drum 2. The sounds are great and I like the interfaces but I have one problem that appears with both VoP and Storm Drum 2.

At one point Play does no longer play back notes. This happens particulary when I have a Kontakt 2 instance open with fairly large sample libraries loaded. Play goes totally silent and the only way to make it sound again is to reload the project without loading the Kontakt 2 patches. I have to press cancel when Kontakt loads - it's not possible to purge all the samples afterwards in order to free RAM.

No matter where I set the engine level the engine memory resets back to zero.

Any ideas on this?

Re: Play Doesn't Playback

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    I just got East West's Play Voices of Passion and Play Storm Drum 2. The sounds are great and I like the interfaces but I have one problem that appears with both VoP and Storm Drum 2.

At one point Play does no longer play back notes. This happens particulary when I have a Kontakt 2 instance open with fairly large sample libraries loaded. Play goes totally silent and the only way to make it sound again is to reload the project without loading the Kontakt 2 patches. I have to press cancel when Kontakt loads - it's not possible to purge all the samples afterwards in order to free RAM.

No matter where I set the engine level the engine memory resets back to zero.

Any ideas on this?
    if it's latest Play version then contact EW Support, if it's not the latest Play version then install the update and try again.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest Play edition.

Contacted East West tech support...

Thanks!

I've been in touch with East West's tech support and they simply tell me Play doesn't play because of the limitations of 32 bit OS. I've got 8 Gb even though I'm running XP 32.

I find it very strange that Play should go silent even when the loaded samples are perhaps 10 - 30 Mb in size.

Could this be an issue with Kontakt 2.2.4?

I'm using Sonar, anyone else with the same experience?

Well, I can tell you that the Play libraries were designed to run on a 64 Bit os. Kontakt 3.5 now has 64 Bit support too.

I use these on Vista 64 along with K3 and have no issues.

You say you have 8 Gigs of RAM?
    That's the minimum for Play really BUT..........
    You need to start with a 64 Bit os
    Multiple drives
    Quad or i7 core

Play has issues and many are complaining about this but again many choose to ignore a 64 Bit os.
    I understand why but I think many need 2 computers. One for 32 Bit XP and one for Vista/XP 64.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Thanks for replying.

I guess I should try to go 64-bit then. I have an additional drive which I tried to install Windows 7 64 bit on, but with no luck.

The i7 processors, are those 8 core?

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Thanks for replying.

I guess I should try to go 64-bit then. I have an additional drive which I tried to install Windows 7 64 bit on, but with no luck.

The i7 processors, are those 8 core?
    No, they're just much faster Quads due to more cache and so forth but amazing CPUs.

Intel are releasing their 8 Cores this year but not quite sure when.
    I think they'll be expensive though. You may wish to read my lengthy posts on 64 bit first..........

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67241
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Go Back to forum