• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sanctum at Anderson Lake

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Sanctum at Anderson Lake

I expected to be away longer than this, but since it seams that other members are coming out of hibernation I should too….(hibernation in June?) Seriously, I’m still hard at work with my landscaping business this time of year, but I sit down at the piano now and then to relax and write some music. I would love to write some orchestral works, but I know I wouldn’t have the time to finish any of them at this point in time. So I have to be pragmatic (hate that word) and be satisfied with writing short piano ditties here and there until the end of the year. You’re probably tired of hearing me chime in with my piano stuff, but it’s all I can do for the moment.

My last two pieces I wrote and posted here were my “puppy” pieces. At that time Ron wrote a piece about the Leonids and I responded to him about the phenomenal northern lights (aurora borealis) that I saw once at Anderson Lake, which got me reflecting on all the incredible times I had up there. So I wrote this piece for my friend John who passed away about 10 years ago. We shared incredible experiences up there, once in a lifetime kind of stuff, in the vain of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer.

Anderson lake is about 3 hours North of Vancouver, British Columbia and is an idyllic spot to behold! The mountains come right down into the lake. The lake is nestled within these snowcapped mountains which are ladened with thick old-growth forests of Douglas fir and red cedar.

I learned to windsurf there and I loved lying down on the beach at night to learn the stellar constellations because of the incredulous clarity of the night sky. (We made up our own grotesque constellations just for fun.)

We also had many unusual experiences too. As I told Ron, one night we were lucky enough to see a northern light show that, we found out later, was the best one in 20 years and was seen all the way down to Florida. The lights flashed and flamed all over the horizon in a deep red and orange color. We thought it was a huge forest fire at first and ran to the lake for safety and jumped in, only to realize that there was no smell of smoke or sound of crackling embers, just dead peaceful night air with a dazzling display of the heavens in front of us. We felt silly afterwards, but never forgot it and it was always a good story to tell.

John had a jeep and we went to all kinds of unchartered areas within the forests. John knew where there was an old gal that hung out in this incredible lodge. She and her husband (who died many years earlier) had built it 40 years earlier from the timbers and rocks found in the area. My gosh, the main great room must had been 3 to 4 thousand square feet with 20 foot ceilings. How they did it by themselves, I’ll never know. (but I don’t understand how they build the pyramids either.) Anyway, the only access to it was using the one-lane dirt/rock roads with a sometimes 35 degree pitch to them, impossible by regular car. She was like Granny of the Beverly Hillbillies, but with more class. (of course that wouldn’t take much).

John was friends with the conductor of the train that went up to Prince George from Vancouver. (Because of his connections and promotions of the BC railways, as a tour guide.) John knew what time the train came up our way and when he saw it coming down the tracks he pulled out a red bandana from his pocket and waved it at the conductor, who stopped the train so we could get on and ride in the engine compartment. (Trains don’t stop on a dime, so we would have to run a ways to catch up to the engine. And I later thought, he must have been on a tight schedule, why would he have had time to stop for us, but he did. But it was the 80's....guess we had more time back then to be a bit slower.) Again like Huck Finn, I imagined myself running the train down the tracks through perilous and mysterious places.

I could go on with the many adventures of Cass Hansen at Anderson Lake, but I won’t bore you further. I just wanted to hint at why this place holds such a warm spot in my heart; for the summers I spent there so many, many years ago. I tried to capture this in this piece.

As for the piece, it starts out innocuous enough with memories of playing on the beach, strolling thru the woods, second theme is at night looking at the cosmos and counting the shooting stars, but then things change a bit to reflect the more hair-raising experiences. Enjoy…. (oh yeah, it’s the close perspective on this one, and it’s recorded a bit “hot” but I didn’t feel like re-recording it, well, I didn’t have the time to. Now off to design another yard!

Cass

The Sanctum of Anderson Lake (Music)

The Sanctum of Anderson Lake (Score)

Re: Sanctum at Anderson Lake

Well now, Cass, allow me to be grateful that you came out of hibernation to post this evocative piano piece.

Great stories to accompany your equally wonderful music.

"...So I wrote this piece for my friend John who passed away about 10 years ago. We shared incredible experiences up there, once in a lifetime kind of stuff, in the vain of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer..."

I feel that says it all, as much as words can. And then there's the music which of course can always say so much more- Marvelous. Thank you.

Randy

Hi Cass,

This is a superb and most enjoyable piece, combining moments of excitement with great tenderness and beauty. I love the mixture of textures, emotions and colours that find their way into this writing. The GPO piano sounds fantastic on this too - so top marks there also.
    Thanks for letting us see the score.

A lovely tribute to your friend John which I'm glad you've been able to share with us.

Regards,

Graham

Another fine composition from you, Mister Cass. An enjoyable, professional piece of music. Thank you for posting it.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello Cass!

Good to see you back with this absolutely
    superb fantasia... intensely engaging and
    a wild compositional ride that, in its lushly
    adventuresome excursions, drew me in for
    three successive listens.

Bravo!

May I suggest you consider a small suite built
    around this, my friend. To me, this movement
    has the sense of culmination and conclusion;
    and it readily invites the possibility of a
    prior episode.

With admiration,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A great composition here. I like some of the changes of feeling in it - the "hair-raising experiences" really add a lot to this, giving it more depth. Not there is anything wrong with the periods of nostalgia, good natured fun, inspiring beauty, etc. that you portray in other segments.

A very enjoyable listen.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

I feel that says it all, as much as words can. And then there's the music which of course can always say so much more- Marvelous. Thank you.

Randy
    Randy,

Yes, music for me can definitely be an evocative language of emotive and philosophical statement. John and I were very good friends for 25 years, the reason why these incredible experiences in their own right, mean even more to me. Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Hi Cass,

This is a superb and most enjoyable piece, combining moments of excitement with great tenderness and beauty. I love the mixture of textures, emotions and colours that find their way into this writing.

Regards,

Graham
    Graham,

I wanted this piece to reflect all the emotions and memories that came to mind when I thought of the summers at AndersonLake. I’m so glad that you could vicariously experience the excitement/thrilling and peaceful/sanguine moments that I experienced. This was my main goal for this piece. In writing for the piano, I usually write not in the traditional pianistic, virtuosic way, with lots of scale runs, arpeggios and other flashy sequential motif work, but more in an orchestral vain. I try to make the piano sound like an orchestra with all its colour and variance. So your comments were very supportive towards this goal. Thanks for the kind words.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Another fine composition from you, Mister Cass. An enjoyable, professional piece of music. Thank you for posting it.

My Best,

Larry, In truth, I almost didn’t post this one. It just never sounded quite good enough to truly reflect what I was feeling. But with such complimentary feedback like yours and others here, I feel I came pretty close after all. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Hello Cass!

in its lushly
    adventuresome excursions, drew me in for
    three successive listens.

David,

You poor guy….3 times around. I’m so afraid that this will provoke another disappearance from you from the forum in order to rest your ears, as you need from time to time. I would hate to have been the culprit that instigated such an untimely event, seeing that you just returned! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post

May I suggest you consider a small suite built
    around this, my friend. To me, this movement
    has the sense of culmination and conclusion;
    and it readily invites the possibility of a
    prior episode.
    I never really considered making it part of a suite, but after seeing your comment, it just might work well in a suite seeing that it does have a rather majestic and conclusive climax to its ending. Thanks for the tip and of course your support.

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast