• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mirrors

Share/Bookmark

Mirrors

So, those who remember my recent post, Toying With an Ostenato (which hopefully will not get bumped back to the first page ), this is the 1st and 2nd movements to the song. Toying With an Ostenato was the first movement, but now I'm calling the entire song "Mirrors." I had a tough time coming up with a title for this one since I really had no definite goal when I was writing it, but the word mirrors just seemed to fit, for various reasons

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm leaving the song here, or if I intend to add another movement. So, here's Mirrors, thanks for listening!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7633791&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7633791&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Mirrors

I like how you've expanded this with the second movement. I think that even staying in the minimalist vein, you could do some modulations to different keys. In fact, I think it might be interesting to keep the same notes in your ostenato patterns and shift the surround harmonies into other keys - it would create some interesting tensions.
    Trent P. McDonald

I really enjoyed this. I like it as a whole package. The actual sound quality has room to improve, and although that usually gets in my way of enjoying a piece, I didn't mind much here.

I especially like @ around 1:24 where the piano comes in, followed by the wavering strings. Really effective. It kind of goes back to the audio quality, but I think a bit more dynamic range would be awesome -- let it swell. I really like the ideas in here. Thanks for sharing this piece!

Julie.

Hello, Michael

!! - I've been enjoying this recording of your opening movements even more than the recent post - NOTE: I'm confused what the intended order is - In your new post here you say this present recording is the 1st and 2nd movements, but then you said Toying With an Ostenato was the 1st movement - ?

John Adams came through more vivdly, oh yeah, nice, an excellent source for inspiration in my book.

I'm not sure what deficiencies in the recording have been referred to on this thread - the recording sounds good, better than many, to my ears.

AH, but I feel after the nice build that starts half way through--that the piece is presently ending right when it could be taking off - it feels aborted. SO we need to hold you to your comment that you may need to write more- yes!--I feel you could take the momentum built here and let it zoom.

Not to be argumentative, but you refer to this work as a "song"---It really isn't a song--I suppose the term has become rather generic, but I still feel you'd be better served to not refer to it in a way that makes it seem like you've written something quite different from what you actually have.

I had a great time listening to this, will be hitting re-play in the near future--THANKS!

Randy

Hey, trentpmcd, I'm glad you enjoyed the second movement. You hit me spot-on...I have a difficult time making transitions to different keys. I really enjoy changing time signatures, but I rarely change keys within a single movement. This is definitely something that I feel could not only improve this song, but my writing as a whole, thanks for the tip!

Hello, AQ Ink, thanks for listening! When I write, I typically write about 2 or 3 bars on a particular instrument, then listen to the previous 10-20 bars...so consequently, I listen to my song probably 2 or 3 hundred times before it's done Because of this, I tend to look over things such as dynamics when I go back over the song as a whole when I've reached a good stopping point such as I have, and I thank you for pointing out how it could be improved! After listening to it once again with your comment in mind, I did hear ways in which the dynamics could especially be improved in certain areas throughout the song.

When you are referring to the sound quality, what do you mean specifically? Is it perhaps the reverb setting is to high/low? Or does it sound dampened, or maybe out of balance? Thanks for your input!

Hey rbowser, I'm glad you like it! With such a resounding request for more on this piece, I'm not sure I can refuse

Yes, as I was writing that bit about which movement was which, I knew it would be confusing, let me try to clarify... The portion I posted on the forums under "Toying With an Ostenato," (that is 0:00 - 1:24ish) is movement 1. Movement 2 is from that point to the end. Currently, the movements do not have individual names, they're just...there!

As far as "song," goes, yes I use that very loosely. I have a general idea of what the original definition of "song," was (originated during the romantic era with short pieces of music with a solo vocalist and usually a piano accompaniment, yes?). But, I also hate tagging it with highly-specific structures like symphony. So...I just go for song...but perhaps another term should be coined: Chunk o' Music? I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'll be considering either adding more movements, or expanding on what I have!

Thanks everyone for listening!

Now, There were a couple things I forgot to mention on my original introduction post about this song, since I was in a bit of a hurry. So, for those of you who are interested in the menial things, then read on

I actually had absolutely no intention of finishing the second movement when I did...I just got a little carried away (which is usually when I enjoy writing the most ) This song features a melody that I've written before on an incomplete song. Introduced at 2:08 this was written for a medley of themes from the Zelda game franchise. It was actually meant to be a transitional melody inspired by the original Zelda theme, but after I wrote it, I let the peice die, and hadn't listened to it for ages. So, on one of those days when I felt like digging through files, I came across this melody and loved it.

Well, it just so happened that I was really stuck on the second movement of "Mirrors," and had no clue where to go from there...well, this melody came at just the right time!

Thanks again for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I usually use either the term "piece" or "work" when referring to a composition. Or I use "composition"....

It's not bad to call your work a "song" - you could also call it a "tune" or number" or any other generic term, but I agree with Randy that "song" isn't quite right. First it implies words. It also often implies something simple and easy to listen to - When Mendelssohn called his short piano pieces "Songs without Words", he was pretty much just updating Beethoven's word "Bagatelle", by which he meant a simple inconsequential work. Of course, I consider these compositions anything but inconsequential.
    Trent P. McDonald

Oh good, it's not just me being picky about "song." When I refer to something instrumental that contains "song" elements, I usually capitalize it Song since, as Trent described accurately as per my understanding, most orchestral pieces are--well, Pieces, numbers, symphonies and sonatas and so forth. Then of course there are songs with lyrics meant for singers. This "Mirrors" isn't close to what composers mean when they say Song.

I'm not too picky about most musical terms, but I do confess that I kind of shudder when people post orchestral pieces and say, "This is my new song." Funny me.

And thanks for clarification (?) on what the movements' numbers are, Sanyaram, because in your header post for this thread, you said the new pieces were the 1st and 2 movements - as I understood?

ANyway!---"Mirrors"---I like it.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello, AQ Ink, thanks for listening! When I write, I typically write about 2 or 3 bars on a particular instrument, then listen to the previous 10-20 bars...so consequently, I listen to my song probably 2 or 3 hundred times before it's done Because of this, I tend to look over things such as dynamics when I go back over the song as a whole when I've reached a good stopping point such as I have, and I thank you for pointing out how it could be improved! After listening to it once again with your comment in mind, I did hear ways in which the dynamics could especially be improved in certain areas throughout the song.
    Heh, yeah I can relate to that. That's why it's good to air it out in the public once in a while.

When you are referring to the sound quality, what do you mean specifically? Is it perhaps the reverb setting is to high/low? Or does it sound dampened, or maybe out of balance? Thanks for your input!
    Yeah, sorry about that -- could I have been a little more vague?
    There is nothing wrong with the sound quality, the term I should've used is "rendering". I'm forgetting that I have these words in my vocabulary now! (I'm a little new to MIDI renderings, myself.) It's not bad sounding -- I'm sorry if I came across that way -- just a little stiff to my ears. But, a little more dynamics would help that, too.

I also agree with you and Randy I think it was -- the piece could really take off after that piano intro I mentioned in my previous post, I think it sets a great tone.

Julie.

I really like the flow and feel of the 2nd movement although I am not sure I would think it that way. One could flow into the other with no separation at all. To me they seemed to be based on one specific momentum producer and that is the ostinato. You weave that ostenato very deftly through the 2nd movement and I like the build in tension toward the end that does not quite get resolved. Then to just give you a glint of a question, you have the oboe play a couple of notes in an upward motif at the end. Just begging for the answer in the 3rd movement.

Thanks for sharing.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

RichR

Hey, I'm glad you liked it! Yes, I did use the ostenato from the first movement in the second movement, though in 4/4 time, so it is slightly altered. And yes, I'm definitely considering expanding on the simple motif of the C-Eb you hear at the very end in the bells and oboe. I'm currently working on a third movement/extension. I'm not completely sure if it will be separate from the 2nd movement or an extension. Either way, it will most definitely contain various themes introduced in both of the previous movements. I have 2 different files started for potential extension, so we'll see which one I like better

Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast