• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Night Shift

Share/Bookmark

Night Shift

For all those guys at Garritan Corp. who MUST work at night to get things ready

Night shift

This is my very first JABB try, so just shoot it.
    Seriously speaking, please comment on this (soundscape, balance, instrument sounds, etc.... you know on all those knobs, sliders, siccers, screwdrivers and lightbulbs involved in getting things running).

I composed this thing in 2002/2003 with BIAB and it was just sitting there, waiting for Gary's JABB.

Raymond

Re: Night Shift

One impressive first shot, Raymond.

Loved it!

To me, the sound on this is quite, quite good.
    I might perhaps wish for a slightly more intimate
    feel to it; a touch less tail and general reverb
    on it; but that really goes more to personal
    tastes, I think. Very well balanced and a
    convincing presence to it!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I don't know much about those knobs, sliders and things in JABB, but I do know I liked this. One thing - I'd like to hear the other instruments get a chance to solo a little - some of your virtual instrumentalists might get a little tired of playing almost the same patterns throughout.
    Trent P. McDonald

David, I took your advice seriously and amended the reverb a bit. I reviewed the score and amended some phrases for the tenor saxes and trombones, more in unity with the rest of the orchestra. As far I can judge the result in total is "more brass"-band than before.

Trent, there isn't enough room for adding solo parts, looking at the solo staff already. To accomodate you, I added some "hidden" repeats of the solo into the orchestra (at the beginning mainly). Almost at the end, there was room for a bass solo, together with the drums.

That's all I can do. I didn't put this version yet in Box.Net. Do it later this week.

BTW, JABB isn't easy. Before I rendered this one, I had a listen to some CD's in my own collection to "get" the idea of a brass sound. And still, all those knobs, CC's, etc..... experimenting will teach me. There are 17 more pieces waiting, so till the end of the year I will be busy "doing" the old stuff (haha).

Thank you for your comments,

Raymond

Hi Raymond. You didn't need to make changes for me, unless you wanted to. There was enough variation in the other instruments to keep my interest and, of course, the solo is the center of attention. That being said, I look forward to hearing the updated version.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Hi Raymond. You didn't need to make changes for me, unless you wanted to. There was enough variation in the other instruments to keep my interest and, of course, the solo is the center of attention. That being said, I look forward to hearing the updated version.
    I am a composer on demand (hahahaha)...... call our service center for any updates. Office hours Mo. to Fr. 09.00-17.00 (European time).

Just joking of course, and it is coming soon.........

Raymond

Hi, Raymond - You're consistently such an adventurous soul, exploring so many different paths in the wild musical jungles of the world. Today I'm enjoying the contrast to your huge symphony and this jazz piece.

It's sounding very good, as per David's reply. And I also agree that there's more reverb than needed on this - as David pointed out (and it's something he's especially sensitive to) the tail, the the trailing end of the reverb, is long and causing an even greater illusion of ambience.

Here's an issue that can't be easily settled in a way that works for all projects - Sometimes we're concerned about making recordings which aren't necessarily realistic representations of the way a band would sound on a stage in real life. Pop records have long since been more concerned about creating effective Sound, and the results can be nothing the way a band would sound in performance.

And the other approach to our virtual band/orchestra recordings is to simulate a venue and the musicians scattered throughout the stage. This is the approach most people take here with their projects, and it's the logical choice for this jazz ensemble piece, "Night Shift."

But there's a problem that comes up - Bass frequencies can accumulate and sound booming and ugly when they have as much reverb as the rest of the instruments. If we had a recording of a live un-amplified band, all the instruments would indeed have about the same amount of room ambience added to their sound. However, I think it's good for us to compensate more than a little bit and to dial back the amount of reverb added to something like a string Bass, in the interest of having a less booming recording.

See what I mean? It may not be realistic to have the Bass less reverberant, but the sonic results are more pleasing. Also, the notes the Bass is playing become more distinct and less flabby.

So, you may not agree with approaching a recording like this in the way I'm talking about, but I would be turning the Bass's reverb back, adding instead just a touch, enough to keep it in the same room without its frequencies ending up so trapped and bouncing around.

I think the entire band could be moved closer to us - and that translates to using less reverb. I can hear that you have the soloist closer to us - I would keep that percentile proportions the same as you dampen down all of the reverb.

It may a rather realistic simulation of what this would sound like in a jazz club, if someone with a recorder was sitting no closer than half way to the stage - but that's not a very ideal recording situation. I think it's totally kosher to go ahead and make the circumstances more ideal, move your virtual microphone closer to the band, and fudge the reverb levels more to even things out.

You find JABB more difficult to work with than GPO?--I suppose its true that one does need to really massage the instruments, use all available controllers - Perhaps the attention to detail JABB demands can be applied more to GPO, which does have a different set of demands.

The music - I like. Cool and smart.

Randy

Randy, that was a long story. Don't make me greater than I think I am, please(I am only 1.70 meters high ). I just want to explore all musical expressions, I can handle. But nevertheless thank you. I just uploaded the new version. Links are the same. I obeyed some advices, not all (hard headed as I am).

Only one argument against "scattering". Listening to Duke Ellington and reading about his musical "drive" learned me, that he carefully choose the sound and where the musicians were placed. He "orchestrated" the orchestra all the time.

As always, with regards,

Raymond

This is kickin. NICE!

I like the mix.

As far as the you know on all those knobs, sliders.....that reminds me of an old girl friend.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I liked the new mix. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out the differences. I liked the bass solo at the end, particularly the way the drums very naturally come in to bring the rest of the band back.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast