• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Valses Nobles et Sentimentales (Ravel)

Share/Bookmark

Valses Nobles et Sentimentales (Ravel)

Hi All,

This is my effort on Ravel's orchestral version. It's all GPO.

Waltzes 1-5 (7:50)

Waltzes 6-8 (7:23)

To listen to the complete piece (on one file):
    Waltzes 1-8 (15:13)
    (The set level seems a bit lower on this site).

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Jack

Re: Valses Nobles et Sentimentales (Ravel)

Thank you for bringing these along, Jack;
    I don't think I've heard the full set
    since I played through the piano version
    back in the Dark Ages of my youth... lol.

Very well done intepretation of these;
    a pleasure!

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Jack. I didn't listen to the whole thing yet, but I'll try to get back to finish up later. I like what I've heard so far.

Unlike David, I've heard these in the relative recent past - The Boston Symphony played the whole set this year.
    Trent P. McDonald

Jack, it seems like it's been an awfully long time since I've seen you here posting music. Maybe I've just missed some of your posts?

In any case, I've just now heard the first file- Huge project for you, such rich material to work with. I'm picturing what an engrossing time this must have been for you while you worked on it. And now I'm grateful for your efforts - Marvelous time listening! Soon I return for the second file - THANKS!

Randy

Jack,

This must have been a very educational project for you - Ravel is such a great orchestrator. This has been very well done; but I do have one comment: perhaps there could be more space/ambience/reverb? I'm not really sure which is which, but it all felt a little too close - I wanted more of a sense of depth/foreground and background. How to do that? Wish I could help. Nonetheless, this was a delight to hear. I have always liked these pieces, but for some reason, they hadn't crossed my path for a long while. Thank you for posting them, and helping me get re-acquainted.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

---I'm back again already, because of Ron's new post:

"...I do have one comment: perhaps there could be more space/ambience/reverb? I'm not really sure which is which, but it all felt a little too close - I wanted more of a sense of depth/foreground and background. How to do that? Wish I could help..."

I agree that the recording would benefit from more reverb, but I'd censored myself from bringing it up.

Jack, I think you use a notation program? - Seems to be more of a challenge for Finale/Sibelius/Overture users to get reverb set well in their projects. In a sequencer, like Sonar that I use, it really makes intuitive sense, adding a reverb unit in the mixer, and then adding bits of reverb to each of the instruments, more for those farther away from the audience, less for those closer - it all makes logical sense.

"space/ambience/reverb"---really are usually used as interchangeable descriptions for the same thing - The natural sound of music playing a physical venue which is the missing ingredient when using good samples until we add that ambient sound back in. And the sense of foreground/background which Ron was wanting - besides volume mixing and panning, it's the different levels of reverb that are going to create that effect.

And so on - I do think it would be great if you could craft your use of reverb on this more, Jack. The work would be better served.

Randy

Hi Jack.
    A nice, extended job on this.
    I listened to the 1st five this time, more later. I liked the 2nd movement-which I hear more frequently than the other 4.

I've discovered that you can't enter music from the score-even modern day scores and achieve balance between sustained & moving notes.
    As others have occasionally commented about notation programs, the use of de-crescendo for sustained notes allow the moving part to be heard better. Maybe a crescendo for the moving part brings it out even better.
    These slight volume shifts are usually unnoticed, but really clean up lines.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Thank you for bringing these along, Jack;
    I don't think I've heard the full set
    since I played through the piano version
    back in the Dark Ages of my youth... lol.

Very well done intepretation of these;
    a pleasure!
    Thanks for listening, David, and for your kind comments. I think the piano version is more frequently heard than the orchestral version, but they were interesting pieces to work on.

Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Hi Jack. I didn't listen to the whole thing yet, but I'll try to get back to finish up later. I like what I've heard so far.

Unlike David, I've heard these in the relative recent past - The Boston Symphony played the whole set this year.
    Thanks for dropping by, Trent. This kind of refutes my comment to David. I should have said 'in my experience..'. I have a recording of Rubinstein playing these, but I don't believe I've ever heard the orchestral version played.

Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Jack,

This must have been a very educational project for you - Ravel is such a great orchestrator. This has been very well done; but I do have one comment: perhaps there could be more space/ambience/reverb? I'm not really sure which is which, but it all felt a little too close - I wanted more of a sense of depth/foreground and background. How to do that? Wish I could help. Nonetheless, this was a delight to hear. I have always liked these pieces, but for some reason, they hadn't crossed my path for a long while. Thank you for posting them, and helping me get re-acquainted.

All the best,
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to listen, and to comment. I think the harmonies are also an interesting feature (especially for 1911). Apparently, when they were first performed (the piano version), the audience was led to believe that each waltz was composed by a different composer, and were invited to guess who the composers were, and were guessing people like Satie, Kodaly, and Dubois. To me, they sound like pure Ravel.

As far as the reverb is concerned, this seems to be a recurring problem for me. I'm not sure I handle it properly. I've tried different ways. Sometimes after experimenting with different reverbs, I listen to the dry file again, and think 'Hey! this is the best' but I know that would go over like a lead balloon. I did use some reverb presets - Concert Hall Light for waltzes 1 and 7, and Close and Tight for the others.

Regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast