• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: My quest to audio mastering: question 1

Share/Bookmark

Question My quest to audio mastering: question 1

Hellooo,

I'm thinking about getting a pair of studio monitors (as I believe they are called) to help me with my opera project. Only problem is that I don't exactly know why I'm getting them, they give me better sound, right? A neutral sound or something like that? Could someone help me on this?

1. What do they do?
    2. What should I be locking for when buying a pair?
    3. Your responses on the previous questions probably contained a lot of high-techy-words which I wont understand, please explain these as well

Thanks in advance
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Re: My quest to audio mastering: question 1

I recently set up my studio, so I know a little on the subject. I'll give you the basic answers, and then some studio buff can come in and fill in the remaining blanks.

1. Studio monitors are designed to give you an even, true sound. Most stereo systems and computer speakers tend to favor a certain frequency range (meaning that particular range rings out louder), therefore coloring the overall sound. Studio monitors have as close to a flat frequency response as possible, so that all ranges of audible sound are heard as evenly as possible - Therefore, making it easier to hear all frequency ranges in relation to one another and mix more accurately.

2. You should be looking for monitors that are powered and ideally have 8" woofers. The less expensive 6" woofer monitors will not really give you as full of a scope of the sound being produced. You'll miss a lot of what's going on in the low end of the sound spectrum with 6" monitors. However, that being said, if 6" is what you can afford, they will be much, much better than just using a stereo or computer speakers.

A nice bonus to having 8" studio monitors is that you can mix just fine without a subwoofer, even though it always better to have one for very serious mixing - but we'll leave that for another day.

I highly recommend KRK Rokit Powered 8" studio monitors. After a listening test at my local dealer they were the best of the bunch for the price range, and I was able to snag a pair for $200 a piece. I'm sure there will be more comments with more suggestions of particular models. As one last tip which you may or may not know already: deal locally if at all possible. You'll get much better prices (after a little negotiating) and much, much better service . You'll also be able to listen for yourself!

Good luck!

Tyler

Hi Danial,
    Tyler gave you some great advice. I recommended to two friends recently that the KRK Rokit 8 powered monitors are nice sounding speakers, and will be faithful to mix with.

Here is a tutorial I did a while back, and it has some nice information about how to buy monitor speakers.
    Dan

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/AudioMixing.htm

There's also a really nice very basic explanation about mastering at the frontpage of TuneCore (www.tunecore.com). Click the image and choose the "Mastering"-tutorial from the list. It partly covers your question too, is written very clearly and is not too long.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

I recently pick up a set of KRK Rokit 8 powered monitors along with the sub and very pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    There's also a really nice very basic explanation about mastering at the frontpage of TuneCore (www.tunecore.com). Click the image and choose the "Mastering"-tutorial from the list. It partly covers your question too, is written very clearly and is not too long.
    That document is primarily an advertisement to use that company's mastering services. It's a sketched in intro designed to make the reader feel the only hope is to pay the bucks to have them do the work. Oh well.

Randy

Thanks for the response, if fell I'm a bit closer to understanding now. One thing though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    You should be looking for monitors that are powered and ideally have 8" woofers.
    What does "powered monitors" mean? Since they all obviously run on electricity it can't be as simply as that? And you mentioned 8'' and 6'', I got that 8'' was better but what's the difference? what does the.. um.. '' do?
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Hi, Felix

Traditional speakers need to be hooked up to amplifiers to get their power. Powered speakers/monitors run on their own oomph without needing amplifiers.

Woofers, providing the lower frequencies--in theory, the bigger the cone the more able they are to boom those frequencies out.

Randy

Question aimed at DPDAN. Should I run the Rokit 8's volume at full +6db or half 0 db? I'm thinking full, yes?

Very grateful

Hi Mikey

zero db would be the setting that produces the least amount of noise,
    while still providing ample volume for listening.
    The ability to increase the gain 6 db is intended for consumer grade
    mixing boards/consoles/desks that have a -10 db level output, but
    that is not for us.

If you want to impress the neighborhood then turn it up as high as it will go.
    Dan

Go Back to forum